Hi,
In a small network of 10 computers 8 of the computers are running windows OS and 2 are running linux. so what should be done so that i can surf internet on all the computers.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

set up a router and set it as the default gateway on all the PCs

Hi,
In a small network of 10 computers 8 of the computers are running windows OS and 2 are running linux. so what should be done so that i can surf internet on all the computers.

If you do not have a router with you, setup one linux computer to become your router. Add one more network card. You can then go for NAT or use a proxy server like squid.

I don't have a router, my server is running on windows OS and i can't change that,
is there any way to configure linux machines...

I don't have a router, my server is running on windows OS and i can't change that,

If your Windows server is the gateway, then just configure your linux computers to use the ip address of the windows server as their gateway.

Which linux distribution are you using?

I am using Fedora Core.
Plz tell me the procedure.....

- Open Terminal.
- type 'netconfig' (no quotes)
- if you are using a DHCP server, then just choose DHCP.
- if not (static), then fill in the ip address for your linux box, subnet mask.
- in the gateway, put the ip address of your Windows server (that shares the internet connection).
- save your settings.
- Once done, while in the Terminal, type ' service network restart'

I used the procedure using the "setup " utility earliar also but it wasn't a success
and this time also it wasn't a success story..
when i tried to ping the server after changing the settings it showed "destinationn host unreachable"
i checked the cables it was also alright.
can't understand where is the problem...

Are you running DHCP? Do your Windows workstations use your server as the default gateway?
If so, try setting your Linux machines to use your Windows Servers as the default gateway and that server as the DHCP server.

do i need to temper the host file any way,
after adding ip address.

Hi There,

make sure the IP and subnet on the linux machines are of the same class as the server and the GW and DNS settings are correct

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.