Hi all

I am going to graduate in December 08. I want to be a SQL Server Database administrator and developer. I want to appear in certification exams before December. So that I could get a job immediately after graduation. But I am not sure about several things. Please answer if you know the answers of following questions

Q-1:
Which exam is required for being a SQL server 2005 DBA? Is it MCTS or MCTP or both. Please answer with test names ( For example test MCTS 70-431)

Q-2:
Which exam is required for being a SQL server 2008 DBA? Are they same that are for Sql Server 2005? Please answer with test names if they are different.

Q-3:
how many time can I appear in these exams? Is their any limitation on number of attempts? Can I appear each month or once every 3 month?

Q-4:
When can I appear in these exams? Is there any particular date fixed for these exams? for Example: If I want to appear for exam on Sept. 5, 2008. Can I register today and get that date.

Q-5:
Which certification course do you think will be better for my career? SQL server 2005 or Sql server 2008? As most of the companies are using Sql server 2005 but they are also rapidly replacing it with sql server 2008. Which certification will be better for getting a job immediately after graduation?

Sorry for so many question. I appreciate your patience.

Please answer and DON'T just give me a website.

Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Q-1, Q-2, Q-3: I know you didn't want a website, but I'm going to give it to you anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.mspx. That will guide you to the appropriate exams for your desired cert. MCTS is the entry-level cert & MCITP is a more advanced cert with MCTS as a preqequisite.

Q-4: You must schedule with Prometric or Vue based on your local testing center availability. You can schedule up to 3 months in advance I believe. Make sure to sign up for the MS "second shot" program - lets you retake the exam free if you fail.

Q-5: If you are just starting out, I would probably go for the SQL 2008 track - look forward, not back. There is a certain amount of crossover between certs - someone who knows 2008 will know something about 2005 and vice versa.

Q-1, Q-2, Q-3: I know you didn't want a website, but I'm going to give it to you anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/certifications.mspx. That will guide you to the appropriate exams for your desired cert. MCTS is the entry-level cert & MCITP is a more advanced cert with MCTS as a preqequisite.

Q-4: You must schedule with Prometric or Vue based on your local testing center availability. You can schedule up to 3 months in advance I believe. Make sure to sign up for the MS "second shot" program - lets you retake the exam free if you fail.

Q-5: If you are just starting out, I would probably go for the SQL 2008 track - look forward, not back. There is a certain amount of crossover between certs - someone who knows 2008 will know something about 2005 and vice versa.

Thank you very much.. I truly appreciate our help.

I have one more question. If you know its answer then please reply

Question:

What is the pattern of MCTS exam?

I mean by objective questions (multiple choice question) or fill in the blank questions or Subjective question (one or two page answers) or computer adaptive questions (We create queries and perform tasks given in the question on SQL server by using computer).

Thanks again for help

There are a few types
multi choice
simulater
case studys
drag and drop items to correct spot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.