Hi,

I am searching for C++ developer jobs currently in US. I have 7 yrs of exp in c++ application development. I see job recruiting ads with 'Exp in Banking', 'Exp in Creditcards','Exp in Trading'.
I get a little puzzled with such groupings. My queries are,
* Can I appy for such postings?
* What is actually expected by such definitions?
* I Know I can do well in any coding env with enough Inputs. But such specific requirements really puzzle me.

How should i handle this? Thanks for your suggestions.
-vib

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You can try getting in touch with the recruiters to see what kind of skills they're seeking.

You may also find yourself required to read or take a course on a different subject (such as Database Access/Administration via SQL/Oracle, XML, HTML (XHTML), C#, Java, .NET, etc), and possess other skills (QA, Leadership, Experience in Agile Methods, Unit Testing experience, etc), to match the pre-req of some jobs.

It really depends on what it is you want to do. If you just want to code in C++, it may be possible especially with 7 years of experience, though I'm not sure @_@

Obviously, don't give up! Your best bet is just to talk with the recruiters over the phone and see if they can schedule an interview with you at some point and time.

Anyways good luck =)

Thanks for your reply. Yep, I am experienced in Oracle, XML, Perl, HTML inaddition to C++.

I am wondering what extra expertise is needed to apply for Job postings which says 'Exp in Banking' or 'Exp in Financial industry is a must' ?

Can I ,from other domain, apply to such Financial job postings? Should I get any certificate fot it or what?
Will I be able to survive if at all I get selected some how?
Thanks.

>I am wondering what extra expertise is needed to apply for Job postings
>which says 'Exp in Banking' or 'Exp in Financial industry is a must' ?
Basically, you're expected to have worked in that industry before. You'll be asked to do things that require knowledge of the concepts, terminology, and conventions specific to the industry.

>Can I ,from other domain, apply to such Financial job postings?
You can always apply.

>Will I be able to survive if at all I get selected some how?
Maybe, maybe not, it depends on how quickly you learn. But I wouldn't worry about being selected for a job you aren't qualified to perform.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.