Hello,
To whomever is reading this and has a job as a Programmer or anyone that has a degree in computer science, It'd be much appreciated if you could answer some questions for an interview required for my research paper for my high school final in English. You don't have to answer all of the questions and the answers don't have to be long, I just need some feedback
Please state your job, position, company, etc.
The questions are

-What is your job like? A typical day? What do you do? What are the duties/functions/responsibilities of you job? What kind of problems do you deal with? What kinds of decisions do you make? What percent of your time is spend doing what? How does the time use vary? Are there busy and slow times or is the work activity fairly constant?

-How did this type of work interest you and how did you get started?

-How did you get your job? What jobs and experiences have led you to your present position?

-Can you suggest some ways a student could obtain this necessary experience?

-What are the most important personal satisfactions and dissatisfactions connected with your occupation? What part of this job do you personally find most satisfying? Most challenging? What do you like and not like about working in this industry?

-What things did you do before you entered this occupation? Which have been most helpful? What other jobs can you get with the same background?

-What are the various jobs in this field or organization?

-Why did you decide to work for this company?

-What do you like most about this company?

-Do you find your job boring or exciting? Why?

-What sorts of changes are occurring in your occupation?

-How does a person progress in your field? What is a typical career path in this field or organization? What is the best way to enter this occupation? What are the advancement opportunities? What are the major qualifications for success in this occupation?

-What were the keys to your career advancement? How did you get where you are and what are your long-range goals?

-What are the skulls most important for a position in this field?

-What particular skills or talents are most essential to being effective in your job? How did you learn these skills? Did you enter this position through a formal training program? How can I evaluate whether or not I have the necessary skills for a position such as yours?

-How would you describe the working atmosphere and the people with whom you work?

-Is there a basic philosophy of the company or organization and, if so, what is it?

-What is the average length of time for an employee to stay in the job you hold? Are there incentives or disincentives for staying in the same job?

-Is there flexibility related to dress, work hours, vacation schedule, place of residence, etc?

-What work-related values are strongest in this type of work? (security, high income, variety, independence)

Thank you to anyone who participates and sorry for the questions (i was given a paper that I had to take the questions from)

Thank you again

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

> -What are the skulls most important for a position in this field?

The bigger the better, preferably without fractures.

commented: LOL +31

erm... about that... Skills*

Although it would be nice, headhunting isn't a job I can pick for this paper.

>-How did this type of work interest you and how did you get started?
I think I'm well suited to my job, and it interests me greatly. As for how I got started, I did it to win a bet.

>-How did you get your job? What jobs and experiences have led you to your present position?
I got my present job by being very good at what I do, and what I do is be awesome. :cool:

>-Can you suggest some ways a student could obtain this necessary experience?
Open source projects are a good way to get experience without having to convince someone to pay you. I've also found forums like Daniweb to be very instructive. You can solidify your own understanding and give back to the community at the same time.

>-What are the most important personal satisfactions and dissatisfactions connected with your occupation?
When I stop learning, I'll switch jobs. The most important "satisfaction" to me is learning new things.

>-Why did you decide to work for this company?
It didn't require me to relocate.

>-What do you like most about this company?
I get to do what I enjoy and what I'm good at. :)

>-Do you find your job boring or exciting? Why?
It depends on the day. Sometimes I'm having a hackergasm with new and interesting code, sometimes I'm writing documentation. You can guess which of those I find exciting. ;)

>-How does a person progress in your field?
Intern -> Junior -> Senior -> Lead -> Manager.

>-What were the keys to your career advancement?
I know what I'm doing and can get results both from myself and from my coworkers.

>How did you get where you are and what are your long-range goals?
I love being a programmer, so I have no intention of following the management path. I'm currently where I want to be, and if I move it'll be sideways rather than up or down.

>-What are the skills most important for a position in this field?
Communication, no question. Business knowledge is important as well. Many newcomers are surprised to learn that the skills most important to a programmer are often seemingly unrelated to programming.

>How did you learn these skills?
I'm largely self-taught.

>How can I evaluate whether or not I have the necessary skills for a position such as yours?
Apply for the job and I'll tell you. :)

>-How would you describe the working atmosphere and the people with whom you work?
Laid back.

>-What work-related values are strongest in this type of work? (security, high income, variety, independence)
Having something interesting to do is usually more important than any perks. I'd take a pay cut if it meant doing something cooler than I'm already doing.

commented: Thank You! +2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.