Hi, I am a beginner in programming, i had a go at java, found in really hard, got a bit scared of programming ever since. My interest at the moment is web, so maybe i need to learn some language, is there any easier alternative to java?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Python is friendly and relatively painless.

Its all a matter of what you perceive. Some prefere php, asp.net, jsp and the list goes on.

Focus on plain html first, then move on to a programming language to incorporate with it once you feel comfortable.

I strongly recommend learning PHP (or JSP) and Oracle together.

Knowing how to design a Web page and manage a database can get you MANY jobs in the IT field, especially when integrating a Database to store information sent from forms in HTML processed requests.

Knowing XHTML is also a plus. ASP is another topic you may want to consider tackling.

From there you can proceed to a back-end language like Java, VB, C# and integrate those with the Web and Database knowledge.

I'm starting from the other end (learned (and still learning) Java as well as some C++) and I'm approaching Oracle to integrate with new projects and concepts. I find the web much harder to understand, though I always hear it's "easy."

Eye of the beholder I guess... anyways good luck! =)

I def agree with alex on this. Some people start on programming ends and learn the web integration, some the opposite.

I started off on the programming side and consider web harder that just the programming aspect. Many people will say differently.

Find out what you are more comfortable with and makes sense to you, then move on to either the web side or the programming side.

hi,
You can use Lisp as an Alternative to Java

Firstly what do you want to develope? Do you need only client-side coding, or do you also need server-side coding?

If you want to create simple website with no database interaction, you can learn html, javascript, css. If you require some database interaction, you would need to do server-side coding, which I would recommend php and mysql.

All these long, self-indulgent answers when the first was sufficient.

Firstly what do you want to develope? Do you need only client-side coding, or do you also need server-side coding?

If you want to create simple website with no database interaction, you can learn html, javascript, css. If you require some database interaction, you would need to do server-side coding, which I would recommend php and mysql.

I agree, with what Denniz has said. As a beginner you should start with html, javascript and csss and then start learning php and mysql for interactive site. Thats the best advice I guess.

Regards,
Ravi

This might seem like a dumb question but did you take a java course? I tried to teach myself(with no prior programming experience other than some html/css/scratched surface of javascript) and did not have much luck, but classes(now I'm back to uni for a BS in computer science) really made it come together. I went back and looked at the book I was using to teach myself and realized that it would be a good book for someone who has programmed before to learn java...but not someone who knows basically nothing!

I start with python; I'll then go for PHP and Java and C++ etc.
Python is simple and powerful. No wonder even NASA uses it

Steve

commented: Have fun! =) +4

Is python really that good? Sorry I came from a C++ background, using C/C++ for more than 10 years but never touched on python before. Been hearing good things about python here.

Can someone give me a brief intro of python?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.