Wikipedia are violating federal laws
1. freedom of speech
2. blocking users from the uk over us citizens

wikipedia should be shut down

Salem commented: x -4

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Well whatever you think is fine but as a US citizen I will not have my rights trampled on.

Also I am putting this all over the Internet, that is my only purpose in posting anyhow

Let me guess, you just had a wiki entry removed?

Listen, the reason it's legal is BECAUSE of freedom of speech. When you own a website you can display information as you see fit. When it comes down to it, if two parties have a dispute over what should be printed on a webpage the owner will always win.

Would you like to infringe on wikipedias freedom of speach by forcing them to publish (and indirectly endorse) your words, which other participants have told them are incorrect or inappropriate?

Wikipedias terms of use are pretty clear, if you're not comfortable with them don't use the service but let the other billion people who use it responsibly and understand how it works make their own decision. Flaming is never right, whether it's directed at an individual, organization, webpage, or business.

PS: I'd love you to PM me and see what kind of response you get "all over the internet". I'm genuinely interested in your feedback as I'm assuming most people feel the same way we do, but I always like to be proven wrong on my assumptions.

Free speech does not exist, in fact fully free speech cannot ever work in practice.

Also I am putting this all over the Internet, that is my only purpose in posting anyhow

I take this as a threat and will be calling the FBI

That comment, your use of block caps, and the link to your own site, by my defintion make you a spammer, in which case you are breaking daniwebs TOS, in which case maybe it is you I should report ;) ?

Also, wikipedia doesnt block people from the UK, i access it just fine.

Let me guess, you just had a wiki entry removed?

Listen, the reason it's legal is BECAUSE of freedom of speech. When you own a website you can display information as you see fit. When it comes down to it, if two parties have a dispute over what should be printed on a webpage the owner will always win.

Would you like to infringe on wikipedias freedom of speach by forcing them to publish (and indirectly endorse) your words, which other participants have told them are incorrect or inappropriate?

Wikipedias terms of use are pretty clear, if you're not comfortable with them don't use the service but let the other billion people who use it responsibly and understand how it works make their own decision. Flaming is never right, whether it's directed at an individual, organization, webpage, or business.

PS: I'd love you to PM me and see what kind of response you get "all over the internet". I'm genuinely interested in your feedback as I'm assuming most people feel the same way we do, but I always like to be proven wrong on my assumptions.

They can not win. They are collecting or benefiting off our tax dollars by their 501(c)3. Our information and discussion group was benign in nature. The only person to complain was my brother in law and he is getting sued as well as Wikipedia. The violation from Wiki is also allowing a UK citizen to block my content (freedom of speech). I thought we won that war and out of it came our constitution.

I have already notified my Congressman and the Secretary of State. They are a foreign corporation in California and they also must follow our State Constitution.

We are not going after Freedom of Speech we are going after, tortuous interference with economic gain. Which is a California Tort.

They are a public forum and with the tax benefit, they are required to follow our State and Federal Laws. Including but not limited to the First Amendment.

They are a public forum and with the tax benefit, they are required to follow our State and Federal Laws. Including but not limited to the First Amendment. They can not Discriminate no matter what you or anyone in this group thinks, that is freedom of speech.

Being a Free Nation we must be mindful that freedom is having to listen to someone screaming at the top of their lungs defending what you have been screaming at the top of your lungs opposing.

All Wikipedia had to do was put the information back.

That will be their downfall.

Everybody just calm down. There was NOTHING threatening about Salems coment, just insulting. I'm not fond of that kind of response on a forum but it was not a threat, so save yourself a lot of trouble by not trying to report it to the FBI. They would completely ignore it.

This thread is getting out of hand, This guy might be making a very poor and emotionally weighted argument but there's no reason at all to bring personal attacks against him. If it doesn't turn into something constructive very fast I'd ask a moderator (Jbennet, you're already subscribed) to close the thread on the grounds that it's obviously a "flame war".

Listen Jwise, I don't agree with your arguments but I do respect your right to make them. If you want anybody to take them seriously, especially here in a mature IT industry community, you need to keep a cool head and approach your points better. This thread is probably not going to turn around at this point but if you can compose a real, specific, statement of how and why Wikipedia is in violation of relevant laws I think it would be an interesting read. Do your research and when you're argument is prepared enough to stand up to criticism post it in a new thread.

Bored now....

/          \ |       Trolls        |
                /      \     \|_____________________|
               /   _    \     \      ||
              /    |\____\     \     ||
             /     | | | |\____/     ||
            /       \|_|_|/   |     _||
           /  /  \            |____| ||
          /   |   |           |      --|
          |   |   |           |____  --|
   * _    |  |_|_|_|          |     \-/
*-- _--\ _ \                  |      ||
  /  _     \\        |        /      `'
*  /   \_ /- |       |       |
  *      ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Go whine at someone else.

If you want to make a real impression, post more than 2 lines of upper case YELLING.
A reasoned argument written in proper English would help you make you sound sane (and serious). Not some spoilt brat who's thrown the toys out of the pram - Waa Waa - Wiki deleted my post WAAAA!!!!

If it bugs you that much, put it on your OWN SITE.

> I take this as a threat and will be calling the FBI
Who are they - the Female Body Inspectors

commented: Bhah :) this made me laugh.. +4

>so save yourself a lot of trouble by not trying to report it to the FBI.
People who threaten to contact the authorities on a thread are nearly always harmless kooks who don't respond to rational arguments (translation: they're trolls). Just sit back and enjoy the show, because this guy will be gone as soon as everyone stops taking the bait.

I'm sure he will, but why should rational experienced members encourage it? I'd rather keep see it just fizzle out than watch us lower ourselves to escalate it.

As I had stated, the discussion group was not insulting or negative. We would rather have it reposted today, and if there are issues we would be willing to fix them. We are not in the church to make waves we just want to create a public forum with constructive discussion. Wikipedia is a vast and growing information site and we just want to be on an increasingly popular public forum.

Wikipedia are violating federal laws
1. freedom of speech
2. blocking users from the uk over us citizens

wikipedia should be shut down

Actually Not

*1 Freedom of Speech is only valid to a public venue. Open parks, public land etc. Not a Restaurant, Movie theatre, or other place that is owned or otherwise controlled. including websites and forums

*2 The US Constitutional Amendment for Free Speech is intended for US Citizens, not the world.
as well as the rest of the constitution. It's 11th grade government class (were you asleep).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.