I said

you were running internet explorer at that time bad shame on you

then Mereannjen
sent me a reputation with a comment

very rude

it was not rude it was a comment with a statment on the end that was not rude at all it was a mear joke a bad one at that but i was just helping Mereannjen fix her pc when she posted a hjt log thats all i was trying to say

alc6379 commented: you don't seem too rude to me! +5

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

OurNation,

Please don't sweat the whole Reputation Points thing.

Without going into a ton of detail and history:

As you've found out, a "Points" system is by nature somewhat prone to abuse/misuse; we and other support sites who've implemented such rating systems have had a lot of discussion concerning the merits/demerits of having done so. In our case, the sytem is still in place, but the upshot is this:

People who are looking for help here don't rely on rep points much at all as far as I've seen; a member's registration date, post count, and the actual contents of thier posts are all much more reliable indicators of the member's standing here.

Yeah, think of them as merit badges, or something, not as a Scarlet letter. There are lots of informative members here with low reputations, either because they've rubbed a couple people the wrong way, or the people they've helped don't care to give reputation.

If it helps any, I gave you some reputation. Hopefully, it will counteract someone else's poor comment. :)

If it helps any, I gave you some reputation.

See! Rep Abuse!! Rep Abuse!! I'm tellin', Alex....

:mrgreen:

See! Rep Abuse!! Rep Abuse!! I'm tellin', Alex....

:mrgreen:

I forsee someone in the near future having less rep... Trifle with the man who clicks the thumbs-up/thumbs-down icon, little one. :P

I'd say the statement was uncalled for (in whatever context it was made) and extremely poor advise.
That alone should be enough reason to lower your reputation...

I'd say the statement was uncalled for (in whatever context it was made) and extremely poor advise.

Oh, lighten up, man! :)

Given the sterling security record IE has had, you don't think it's worth it to at least say that in jest?

Actually, the specific context is exactly why it wasn't "poor advice" in this case:

In the thread in question, OurNation was not making an offhand comment on the general use of Internet Explorer at all- The comment was directly in reference to the fact that the latest HijackThis log which Mereannjen had posted in the thread indicated that she had an instance of Internet Explorer running when she ran HiajckThis. Given that HijackThis cannot fully and completely perform all of its fixes while any instances of IE are still running, OurNation's observation of that was on the mark.

Granted, perhaps the addition of some appropriate "smiley" icon in OurNation's post would have made the "joking" aspect of the post more obviously apparent to all. Quite honestly though- to call OurNation's comment (in context, because it was made as such) rude, out-of-line, or uncalled for is simply incorrect.

That said, let's not have this rather minor matter get too personal, OK?

....except for my next post directed at alc6379's comment :mrgreen:

(please note appropriate use of "smiley" above)

I forsee someone in the near future having less rep... Trifle with the man who clicks the thumbs-up/thumbs-down icon, little one. :P

And I foresee the Keeper of the Sacred Wet Trout sneaking up behind you in the middle of the night and... oh, wait- here it comes!!!....

[img]http://www.stevewolfonline.com/Downloads/DMR/Visuals/fishwhack.gif[/img]

Actually, the specific context is exactly why it wasn't "poor advice" in this case:

In the thread in question, OurNation was not making an offhand comment on the general use of Internet Explorer at all- The comment was directly in reference to the fact that the latest HijackThis log which Mereannjen had posted in the thread indicated that she had an instance of Internet Explorer running when she ran HiajckThis. Given that HijackThis cannot fully and completely perform all of its fixes while any instances of IE are still running, OurNation's observation of that was on the mark.

Granted, perhaps the addition of some appropriate "smiley" icon in OurNation's post would have made the "joking" aspect of the post more obviously apparent to all. Quite honestly though- to call OurNation's comment (in context, because it was made as such) rude, out-of-line, or uncalled for is simply incorrect.

That said, let's not have this rather minor matter get too personal, OK?

....except for my next post directed at alc6379's comment :mrgreen:

(please note appropriate use of "smiley" above)

wow, I salute you for even taking the time to write all that in this particular thread lol. you should get 5 extra reputation points!!

wow, I salute you for even taking the time to write all that in this particular thread lol. you should get 5 extra reputation points!!

lol.

Seriously though- I'm familiar with OurNation and Mereannjen, and have participated in troubleshoots with both of them. Neither member has ever shown ill will here, and I'm sure there was none intentionally meant at all in this case. Misunderstanding? Perhaps, but that's where being a moderator comes into play- part of that job is to help sort out misunderstandings between our members.

:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.