There are many ways to create dynamic web pages. There's CGI/Perl, ASP, and etc. There are so many options, but which options are the ones that are right for you? Many of these scripting languages (JSP, CGI, and etc.) have started fading away from site. It's hard to find anymore JSP pages, and cgi (and pl) pages are starting to slowly disappear. Which ones will survive and prosper the fourth (dynamically generated) generation websites. Will some unknown force come and sweep everyone off their feet? Use this thread to voice your opinions about the future of dynamic web pages. Which one(s) will be the winner, and which ones will be the losers...

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

hmmmm.... i say pearl (and cgi) will stay forever. Considering that this board is made in pearl...
;D

I think the ones that are based on solid languages will prosper ... C++ isn't going anywhere anytime soon - and you can write scripts in C++ ...

asp, php, and coldfusion all seem to be hot right now
alpha's right though, perl is going down the drain

My favorite kind of web page is made with good 'ole MS Word! Thats real content!

LOL!! word!! wordpad is better!

Well, the reason why Perl is going to stay for a while is that most servers already come with it free (CGI). So that's a benefit. A lot of hosts come with it also (bin directory). Now, just because it's free, and it's been around for a while, doesn't mean it's the best. In my opinion, the code is sloppy, and I can't even imagine the maintenance on huge app, like amazon.com to be solely written in perl/c++. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good language, but for writing good scripts-it's still used that way... you can compare that too how assembly language is used... not all applications are written in assembly, but those that need that extra little functionality, use asm. <br /><br />I think the hype nowadays are between the BIG 4: ASP, PHP, ColdFusion, and JSP.

Through my journeys of the internet, i mainly see php and asp sites. I know a lot of the big internet companies (ie. buy.com) use asp. The most likely reason for this is that they could probably afford windows 2k adv serv, but smaller companies can't. I know google use over 10,000 mid-end systems running red hat linux. Multiply 10,000 by 400 bux, and you get the price it would cost for them to switchover to windows. Well... that's 4,000,000 (four-million) dollars!! wow! google only makes like what, 30 million a year. It costed them around 2000 dollars to license all of their 10,000 computers using red hat. A meager price compared to that of windows 2000 adv serv.

And about the big four... jsp is starting to disappear. Coldfusion seems to be getting old and this only leaves the big two.
Just like in the operating system war, it's php (linux) vs asp (windows). Who will win this? Will php with it's faster, cheaper, and more stable capabilities win. Or will asp, with their huge half a trillion dollar company backing them up win. Or we'll these two superpowers be fighting until the end of time? Only time can tell...

Hmm... the arguement could go both ways. Its really whatever floats your boat. If you wanted a simple program done that just makes a message box come up, a vb programmer would say vb is the best choice. A C++ programmer would say C is the best choice. A Delphi.... you see where I'm going with this...

Haha. "ColdFusion seems to be getting old"? Of course you're saying that after developing Coldfusion templates for a year, attending the last Macromedia DevCon, and reading every ColdFusion Developer's Journal every month right? Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean that things aren't happening; gears aren't moving. ColdFusion is starting to develope more and more exponentially, now that Neo is in the works.

The same statement goes for JSP. First of all, Java is BIG in the community, and one of the best ways to integrate Java along with web apps is through JSP pages and servlets. Java has been around for more than 10 years now, and research still continues. I doubt that anytime soon JSP will disappear. There are many sites that use JSP, like http://www.nintendo.com. Remember all web sites don't have to be limited to just one language, they can use many. JSP/ColdFusion, along with Perl and ASP, all working together.

I agree with Tekmaven. The decision depends on... first of all... budget. Then the time it will take to learn/setup... then the time to write/test/debug the application... then finally, it must be done in a way so it can be maintained easily and in an efficient manner. Now of course... all of this can also be biased.... who's making the decision. It's usually the boss (the one who'll shell out the money) and it's your job to smile and keep your mouth shut and learn the damn thing.

I admit... their still being used and developed, but are become less favorable. With the new dynamic web page languages available, it became much easier. And, i'm seeing less and less websites using cgi and all those "old" technology. A lot of the REALLY high hit sites are using their own type of technology (google, amazon, ebay) and the rest (buy) are using the more modern languages.

The only language I think is becoming less favorable is CGI. It could be a pain to maintain, compared to these other technologies. It has been around for a long time, before most of these new languages spawned, and it comes with Apache, which is the most widely used HTTP server to date.

But what about JSP? I rarely see it being used anymore, it's all either PHP or ASP.

Coldfusion... i dunno, i have to get into that. I like no nothing about it.

You don't see JSP around anymore? Could it be like ColdFusion? That you also don't know anything about it? :)

While looking at the extension of sites... i noticed some were in cfm. I thought for a second and realized, COLDFUSION!!! still wondering bout da m part, but egh. I dunno much bout JSP or CFM, but i see A LOT more of PHP and ASP (ok... mostly html).

DUDE!! M!!!
HTML: hypertext markup language

XML: extensible markup language

MARKUP!!! got it!

Lol. And the point of that was...

dunno... 8) another post!

Layoff the smack. :)

Ok... 8)

My Opinion? MySQL, ASP.NET and PHP will stay forever. Enough said.

Hello, I am Vinod and am very new to the World of WEB DEVELOPMENT. I am in this field since 6 months. And started concentratin on Dynamism since 3 months. At the beginning I started learning CGI/PERL on my own with the help of E-Books. At the time of learning the PERL seemed to be good. Then I heard a lot about PHP. I installed PHP with APACHE and when I looked at some of the few samples initiallly at the beginning only I became addicted to PHP. And now I am only concentrating on PHP and ofcourse MYSQL for the database (backend).

As per the recent news. The PHP community is growing an largest speed with thousands and thousands of followers. But I don't know till what date this creze will be as the WEb development throws the challenges every days. :eek:

ASP.NET : Since I haven't even looked at the simplest code of ASP.NET, I am not going to comment on it. But as ASP is concerned, Quite boring. :o :cry:

Let's pray PHP be still more stronger and spread its hands still more - Because its FREE.... :p

Well ASP.NET (not asp) is going to be around for a long time especially scince it is now multi-platfrom with apache. What how can this be? check out http://www.go-mono.com They have finally gotten ASP.NET ported to linux using th mono or .NET framework. There is a C# compiler for it in linux well any *nix based platform now. So now you can have the speed, reliability, and ease of use of ASP.NET on windows and *nix (hooray).

There is also now a php compiler for .NET. Finally php can pick up on speed and maybe match ASP.NET because it is now compiled also. For more information on that go to http://www.php-compiler.net The problem now in php lies that php is still slower in *nix than ASP.NET on windows and *nix so at the moment php is not the best choice. However once the team that is working on the php compiler get don they are going to work on a compiler that works with mono project so that you can compiler the php code under *nix and finally both will have good speeds because both will be compiled.

Ok now ASP.NET is starting to outrun PHP now because ASP.NET 2.0 is about to be released, and let me put it this way ASP.NET 2.0 gives a whole new meaning to RAD. The positive to this is you can make good enterprise level web applications faster and more function with several of the new controls, but I am sorry to say that the ASP.NET 2.0 will not be supported for a while on linux (as far as i know) so that is the draw back so far. But the same thing can be said about php when it goes to 6 there won't be a completel compatible compiler for it till it is written.

Hope this information made scince to you. I was kind of thinking and writing.

Thank you Percent20 for your valuable suggestion. I will consider it seriously and will try to have a look at ASP.NET as soon as possible...

Once again thank you very much...

Well ASP.NET (not asp) is going to be around for a long time especially scince it is now multi-platfrom with apache. What how can this be? check out http://www.go-mono.com They have finally gotten ASP.NET ported to linux using th mono or .NET framework. There is a C# compiler for it in linux well any *nix based platform now. So now you can have the speed, reliability, and ease of use of ASP.NET on windows and *nix (hooray).

There is also now a php compiler for .NET. Finally php can pick up on speed and maybe match ASP.NET because it is now compiled also. For more information on that go to http://www.php-compiler.net The problem now in php lies that php is still slower in *nix than ASP.NET on windows and *nix so at the moment php is not the best choice. However once the team that is working on the php compiler get don they are going to work on a compiler that works with mono project so that you can compiler the php code under *nix and finally both will have good speeds because both will be compiled.

Ok now ASP.NET is starting to outrun PHP now because ASP.NET 2.0 is about to be released, and let me put it this way ASP.NET 2.0 gives a whole new meaning to RAD. The positive to this is you can make good enterprise level web applications faster and more function with several of the new controls, but I am sorry to say that the ASP.NET 2.0 will not be supported for a while on linux (as far as i know) so that is the draw back so far. But the same thing can be said about php when it goes to 6 there won't be a completel compatible compiler for it till it is written.

Hope this information made scince to you. I was kind of thinking and writing.

Well glad I could help that is what I try to do. I love to help people. This actually makes my day. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.