Certifications?

Okay im currently on a degree (Bsc Hons) course for Applied Computing, going into second year (of 4)

I am wondering whether now is the time to be thinking about certifications and stuff? I am definitely wanting to work in IT after graduation.

Any reccomendations if so? And tips on how to get into the industry?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I would get the certifiably awesome certification. It's helped me a lot in life.

Wouldn't this advice depend on your location? Reveal that information to us. I'm guessing by your hair color and sun-exposure level that you're Canadian or Alaskan.

Edit: on the other hand, the lipstick makes me think you must be some kind of english dandy.

commented: thats not very nice -7
commented: ek-ek.. :) +1
commented: if you're going to be a jerk, at least have a reason +6

On a serious note, im from the UK.

If you could get a certifiably awesome certification, that would be nice. If you're getting a degree, why do you need a certification? I do not understand the IT world.

Certifications?

Okay im currently on a degree (Bsc Hons) course for Applied Computing, going into second year (of 4)

I am wondering whether now is the time to be thinking about certifications and stuff? I am definitely wanting to work in IT after graduation.

Any reccomendations if so? And tips on how to get into the industry?

Decide which industry you want to work , like netwroking , then go for CCNA,CCIE , database go for SAP,Oracle ,
In general a java/.net certification can also help.

Try to do your final year project assignment from a reputed company or choose some project assignment which has got some value in IT industry.

You can also start working as a part time freelance programmer which will give you real time coding experience, you can PM me if you have got more specific questions.

commented: thanks, constructive post +36

thanks, itHelp for posting a constructive post.

If you're getting a degree, why do you need a certification?

to get a job.....?

Im good at Java (J2SE and J2EE), and linux...

Java? What? Are you going into software development or IT?

Either?

If you interested in Java certification you can take SCJA right now it is not difficult. This is more for people which will not do much of coding sort of adviser or sale representative so you know what you talking and dealing with. It is targeting basic programming terms, little programming background, UML and introduction to variety of technologies based on Java.
SCJP is for these serious about carrier in application development, but it may be a little difficult with your short experience with Java at this point. Also you do need SCJA be eligible to take SCJP.
Check with your university or on Sun website if they are in Sun Academic Initiative and you can get access to free online resources that should help you with most of the exams (not all Sun certification programs are available through SAI) if not join Open Source University Meetup - OSUM and through SAI group you can request Welcome package to be send either to you or to your university.

PS: With certification you will stand out in the crowd of other graduates...

>With certification you will stand out in the crowd of other graduates...
I doubt it.

I am an oracle certified associate (OCA). But the certification didn't help me one bit when I was looking for a job! Even though I had the certification, most companies asked for experience! Bah!
I am not sure about Java certification though. :)

>With certification you will stand out in the crowd of other graduates...
I doubt it.

You may look at it from your perspective of programmer with several years of experiences. However for student with ZERO years in industry it is a big difference. For once having SCJP it says you have good understanding of language syntax, core concepts and number of common APIs, plus that you have intermediate knowledge of OO design concept.
Each school has different approach in teaching Java and very few actually follows Sun recommendation, often teacher will pick up a book and copy exact examples or provide similar. What a nightmare it is for recruiter/company to find out what level of Java all these graduates students have

If you're a horrible programmer looking for a horrible programming job, then a certification might impress somebody, somewhere. But any reasonable employer will not count them in your favor. They will only be counted against you. You should have things that actually boost your resume like projects you've worked on for fun, that show how smart you are. A resume that says "I actually did stuff" means a lot more than one that says "I passed some exam and present this as evidence."

I don't think certifications are unprofessional, but if you're looking to boost your career, I'd spend more time working on aspects such as getting in a good school, graduating with honors, doing research and publishing papers.
And no, I am not denying that a modest amount of time spent on DaniWeb might actually boost these activities.

If you're a horrible programmer looking for a horrible programming job, then a certification might impress somebody, somewhere. But any reasonable employer will not count them in your favor. They will only be counted against you. You should have things that actually boost your resume like projects you've worked on for fun, that show how smart you are. A resume that says "I actually did stuff" means a lot more than one that says "I passed some exam and present this as evidence."

Forgetting important detail here again, jbennet is student. Yes he may get involved with various projects, but they still do not prove much. Example, I'm on the list of contributors for Pebble, an open source blogging application, however I did only translation to my native language. I'm in number of Java communities. Yes that show I have interest, but doesn't say much on my programming knowledge/skills.
So please take in consideration what sort of background and experience student can have. Don't you think that having certification is good starting point while you have zero experiences?

>Yes he may get involved with various projects, but they still do not prove much.
Any competent employer will realize it doesn't take much to become a contributor of a project, and will want to know the specific details of your contribution. Of course, projects that you start and complete on your own are always a far better indicator of your experience than group projects, but nevertheless both are extremely valuable for proving your programming ability.

Certification is nothing more than proving that you can memorize information and regurgitate it on a piece of paper. It says nothing about your ability to solve problems, make decisions about program flow, or in general, your motivation as a programmer. Experience, however, does do that.

I think this is the right time to prepare and take certfication examination, it will help you get a job easier

commented: Pointless blabber to promote signature link. -4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.