We all know that any lead helps with this economy. Online job boards are full of job seekers who are really looking. But I read on a site about how social media has helped job seekers find jobs. There are many job related twitter accounts and also other karma related job seekers helping other job seekers accounts there as well. So if you found a lead or helped someone else find a lead using social media, please share your story.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

We all know that any lead helps with this economy. Online job boards are full of job seekers who are really looking. But I read on a site about how social media has helped job seekers find jobs. There are many job related twitter accounts and also other karma related job seekers helping other job seekers accounts there as well. So if you found a lead or helped someone else find a lead using social media, please share your story.

My story is not so much about finding a lead or helping someone else find a lead (although I have done both) but rather that researching a lead is what brought me into social media in the first place. I took great pains to avoid MySpace when it was the big thing and most of my co-workers were on it. But I came across a lead and the contact's first name was Lee. As I wanted to send an e-mail and I wanted to be gender specific in my greeting, I was able to find the person on Facebook. But I had to join access the info I needed. I figured I would cancel my account immeadiately after finding what I needed but I was lazy. Within a few days I had multiple friend requests and I started getting more involved. Since then I have used social media as a job search tool with moderate success.

A few months ago, one of my colleagues from California tweeted about how he was looking for a web designer for a new site he was launching. I quickly told my friend who happens to be a freelance designer in NY and introduced the two parties via LinkedIn. My friend was hired for the project and they are both living happily ever after. :)

A few months ago, one of my colleagues from California tweeted about how he was looking for a web designer for a new site he was launching. I quickly told my friend who happens to be a freelance designer in NY and introduced the two parties via LinkedIn. My friend was hired for the project and they are both living happily ever after. :)

And they say long distance relationships are impossible to manage ;)

But on a more serious note, I had the misfortune of being unemployed in 2008 and a lot of the people I met through a job search group at our local Dept of Labor office were still relying only on job boards and agencies. I am still in contact with many of them and quite a few have been expanding their search to Linkedin, Facebook and Ning and they have gotten some good leads.

The recruiting and job search process is changing. You can't stand out with words on a piece of paper anymore. You need more resources, a better network and extra energy.

The recruiting and job search process is changing. You can't stand out with words on a piece of paper anymore. You need more resources, a better network and extra energy.

Very true. I heard someone say that if you use Facebook for your jobsearch you should set up your presence as a high end resume with video and presentations, if they demonstrate your skills and experience. I even heard that some people include video testimonials from personal and business references.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.