Tried to read some newsgroups I follow, got "server not found" replies. They've had problems in the past, so I called tech support. Was told they dropped usenet, today. No notice, no warning, nothing. Just gone!

I've got half a dozen or so newsgroups I follow, some related to hobbies, some related to computer support. Now I feel so lost.

OK, I've got all you great people here on DaniWeb - but there is still a bigger world out there. And how many of you run model trains?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

And how many of you run model trains?

Check.
Inactive hobby of mine. As soon as I move to my new house I'll start rebuilding my 'city'. I still have about 20 locs from the pre-digital-age, so perhaps an upgrade of my material will be necessary...

Are you a Marklin or a Fleischmann man? Or are there American brands that I don't know about?

You have been out of it a while. Lots of brands available here in USA (though most manufacture is in China, Kato being the big exception making theirs in the home country of Japan)

It's hard to keep up with the European makers - they keep going bankrupt, getting bought out, merging, re-emerging.

ii dont know anyone who still uses the news mailer to access USENET. that's like last decade. USENET's been on the web for some time now.

ii dont know anyone who still uses the news mailer to access USENET. that's like last decade. USENET's been on the web for some time now.

I guess you don't know me, then, do you?

I find it handy to have the groups I watch handy in my mail app, so I have record of any posts I make.

Yes, I'm so 20th century - I use my cell phone for talking, not texting or surfing or emailing, or....usenetting.

I guess you don't know me, then, do you?

I find it handy to have the groups I watch handy in my mail app, so I have record of any posts I make.

Yes, I'm so 20th century - I use my cell phone for talking, not texting or surfing or emailing, or....usenetting.

egads. you probably still use POP3!

:-O

0.0 Wha...wuh.. I only explode mine, as movie props.

egads. you probably still use POP3!

:-O

And the problem with that would be?

if you have to ask....

but hey, i understand where you're coming from. I'm somewhat of a Luddite, myself. i finally broke down and bought my first laptop a year ago. :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.