A new golden rule for the modern age...

Tweet others the way you would like to be tweeted.

"The book to read is not the one that thinks for you but the one that makes you think". Harper Lee?

Businesses that make money by collecting and selling detailed records of private lives were once plainly described as "surveillance companies." Their rebranding as "social media" is the most successful deception since the Department of War became the Department of Defense
Edward Snowden 17 Mar 2018

This via Twitter which poses another question.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

• Isaac Asimov

It's more dangerous to assume people know what they are talking about than it is to assume they don't.

• Unknown

Two People You Should Never Trust: A religious leader who tells you how to vote, and a politician who tells you how to pray.

• Unknown

Men are generally against reason when reason is against them.

• Thomas Hobbes

Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love.

• Gandalf the Grey

Happiness is a delicate balance between "what I want & what I have" It is an inner joy that can be Sought & Caught but can never be Taught & Bought

-- Yushly

There's no present like the time.

• From The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

We allow people into the political system who routinely distort facts, who twist laws in order to suit patrons who give them campaign money. Some of whom just plain lie. And we accept this. You people in the media do. You would not accept that sort of behavior in your own profession, would you? Or in medicine, or in science, or in business, or in law enforcement. There’s something wrong here. This is our country we’re talking about, and the standards of behavior we demand of our representatives shouldn’t be lower—they should be higher. We should demand intelligence and integrity.

• President Jack Ryan, Executive Orders (Tom Clancy)

If our job teaches us anything it's that we don't know what the next president's gonna face. If we choose someone with vision, someone with guts someone with gravitas who's connected to other people's lives and cares about making them better, if we choose someone to inspire us then we'll be able to face what comes our way and achieve things we can't imagine yet.

• Toby Ziegler - The West Wing

"The coward, then, is a despairing sort of person; for he fears everything. The brave man, on the other hand, has the opposite disposition; for confidence is the mark of a hopeful disposition.'

• Aristotle

"Wanting to believe something is not any reason at all to believe it. If anything, it’s a reason to question it."

• Penn Jillette

Success is not a result of spontaneous combustion, you have to set yourself on fire.

Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we were, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment.

• Closing narration from Paladin of the Lost Hour (Twilight Zone episode written by Harlan Ellison)

My favourite was "Gall pechod mawr ddyfod trwy ddrws bychan." Even if I can't imagine that "ddrws" is actually a word.

commented: Glad you liked them! Ddrws mutated form of drws (door) from Romans' doras. Pr. throos with soft th as in the. +0

I would rather have questions that can’t be answered than answers that can’t be questioned.

• Richard Feynman

I’m not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance.

• Jon Stewart
commented: There, there.... +0

If this be the whole fruit of victory, we say: if the generations of mankind suffered and laid down their lives; if prophets and martyrs sang in the fire, and all the sacred tears were shed for no other end than that a race of creatures of such unexampled insipidity should succeed, to protract in saecula saeculorum their contented and inoffensive lives—why, at such a rate, better lose than win the battle, or at all events better ring down the curtain before the last act of the play, so that a business that began so importantly may be saved from so singularly flat a winding-up.

• William James - The Will to Believe (1897)

It’s one thing to express your views. It’s another thing for those views to be different than mine.

• Stephen Colbert (in character)

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

• John Adams

Once the hard-won principles of reason and science have been discredited, the world will not pass into the hands of credulous herbivores who keep crystals by their sides and swoon over the poems of Khalil Gibran. The “vacuum” will be invaded instead by determined fundamentalists of every stripe who already know the truth by means of revelation and who actually seek real and serious power in the here and now.

• Christopher Hitchens

Ignorance begets confidence more often than knowledge.

• Charles Darwin

As for bankers, their need to win the trust of their clients guarantees that they will act with honour and integrity. Unregulated capitalism is a 'superlatively moral system.

• Alan Greenspan

In science, faith without evidence is a vice, while in religion it’s a virtue.

• Jerry Coyne (Professor Emeritus of Ecology and Evolution, University of Chicago)

His rage passes description - the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted.

• The Hobbit (The Desolation of Smaug)
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.