Hi, every1,

I have a 25-pin parallel port dongle for my accounting software, but recently, there was a need to get mobile, hence, need my accounting system with me to do quotations on the road.

However, my new Dell notebook do not have a parallel port as most notebooks these days.

It would be easier to get a USB dongle to use, however, there is no stock for it, and may need the dongle to switch usage between my desktop(with parallel port) and notebook.

Hence, you like to find out from fellow IT professionals if they have encountered such situation, and if the dongle would work via an adapter interface ?

Cheers,
yogibear

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

tried it wish HASP plugs. doesn't work

Thank you for info.
D. Elder

The makers of your security key should also have a page to set up the security system with a USB dongle. You will need to completely un install the old key system and fight to get the new one to work. I have done this on machines and I've noticed that there is a serious degrade in starting the security service at bootup and sometimes requires multiple restarts.

overall experience with several parallel hasp type security keys
(Voicemail, Door Access, Video,) systems were written for specific platform
(98, 2000, mayby XP) and assumed parallel port.
Wound up maintaining Legacy hardware.
This cost far less than software updates, IF available.
USB to SERIAL is more common, but most hasps are Parallel.

HASP3 and 4 are parallel, the newer ones are all USB

Hi, every1,

I have a 25-pin parallel port dongle for my accounting software, but recently, there was a need to get mobile, hence, need my accounting system with me to do quotations on the road.

However, my new Dell notebook do not have a parallel port as most notebooks these days.

It would be easier to get a USB dongle to use, however, there is no stock for it, and may need the dongle to switch usage between my desktop(with parallel port) and notebook.

Hence, you like to find out from fellow IT professionals if they have encountered such situation, and if the dongle would work via an adapter interface ?

Cheers,
yogibear

Dear Yogi,

I am having exactly the same problem. I purchased a USB to parralel port cable - but to my dismay it soes not recognize the dongle - have you been any more successful

Please let me know

Tzvi

Dear All,

I am having the same problem. Can I use Parallel port to USB adapter for use my HASP 3 dongle to connect USB of the computer?

To anyone who might have the solution:

I am having the same problem. I've tried to use USB to paralel and USB to serial and then serial to paralel, both in XP and 7, in laptops, but unfortunetly i didn't come with any result, i.e. my 25 pin dongle isn't recognized. IS there someone that could give a litle help??
thx
mecpaul

Hi All who wants to use a USB-parallel convert to eanble a parallel dongle:

Whether you will be winning depends on the parallel dongle design. If the dongle software checks the IRQ (interrupt) pin of the parallel ports, you cannot active the parallel dongle via USB. Otherwise, it is high possible to win. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_protection_dongle

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.