A display box is popping up on my screeen sayiny im low on vitual memory what can I do to remedy this.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Find out what processes are taking up all of your physical memory and kill them or increase your physical memory. Dipping into virtual memory too much is a bad thing because it is much slower than real memory. You can increase the virtual memory space, but that's probably just a band-aid for the symptom of the problem.

What operating system are you using?

In windows xp
Click on start then
control panel then double click system
click on advanced
then on performance settings
then on advanced then click on change
see on what drive your virtual memory is located
click on custom size
set the size to 1.5 – 2 times your Ram amount
and press set
click ok till you can reboot and reboot the system
hope it helps
barry

Find out what processes are taking up all of your physical memory and kill them or increase your physical memory. Dipping into virtual memory too much is a bad thing because it is much slower than real memory. You can increase the virtual memory space, but that's probably just a band-aid for the symptom of the problem.

What operating system are you using?

I'm using Windows XP and I did check my Processes and I saw where most of my memory was going, but I think I need to upgrade my memory it's only 256 mb of Ram. So maybe I'll install some more memory and that will solve my problem. Thank for the help I appreciate it.

Hey thanks Barry I did that and it came back on. So maybe I need to install some more memory. I operating at 256mb Ram and it's kinda funny beacuse I don't have alot of applications on my desktop and I don't download alot. Can having a dirty registery be the cause of that problem as well. What is a good registery cleaner. Well hear from you later. Thanks

Yes ... 256mb of RAM is low by todays standards. It was above the minimum system requirements for XP but that was 3 service packs and before .NET was heavily used.

You need more ram.

I'm using Windows XP and I did check my Processes and I saw where most of my memory was going, but I think I need to upgrade my memory it's only 256 mb of Ram.

I recommend an absolute minimum of 512MB for Windows XP, and at least 1GB for good performance on anything more than surfing the internet. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.