It was the DISPLAY that was the stumbling block :confused:

What is the $100 Laptop, really?

The $100 Laptop will be a Linux-based, full-color, full-screen laptop, which initially is achieved either by rear projecting the image on a flat screen or by using electronic ink (developed at the MIT Media Lab). In addition, it will be rugged, use innovative power (including wind-up), be WiFi- and cell phone-enabled, and have USB ports galore. Its current specifications are: 500MHz, 1GB, 1 Megapixel. The cost of materials for each laptop is estimated to be approximately $90, which includes the display, as well as the processor and memory, and allows for $10 for contingency or profit.

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

wow, what a deal!

If I didn't have something I would try one

Where can I get one?

Nowhere. It's not for marketing to individuals, only to be made available to foreign aid organisations and 3rd world government agencies (mostly educational and healthcare) in orders of 1000 units and more.

Certainly some interesting things come out of MIT.

One of the recent efforts was the generation of a computer program which writes randomly created research papers with 'context-free grammar', charts and diagrams.

"[They] submitted two of the randomly assembled papers to the World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (WMSCI), scheduled to be held July 10-13 in Orlando, Florida. To their surprise, one of the papers -- "Rooter: A Methodology for the Typical Unification of Access Points and Redundancy" -- was accepted for presentation.....

....."Rooter" features such mind-bending gems as: "the model for our heuristic consists of four independent components: simulated annealing, active networks, flexible modalities, and the study of reinforcement learning" and "We implemented our scatter/gather I/O server in Simula-67, augmented with opportunistically pipelined extensions.""

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/04/14/mit.prank.reut/

Unsurprisingly, the conference organizers came up with a rather thin excuse in relation to the paper getting accepted for presentation :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.