The constant worry of soldiers leaking top-secret information onto the internet via blogs had forced the commanders to approve every blog entry that a soldier wrote before they could post it onto the world wide web. Fortunately for them it's called off, at least for now.

Just 3 days ago, a fact sheet had been released that said it wasn't going to be done, and that soldiers aren't going to be watched or monitored when they write to their online journals: "No way every blog post/update a solider makes on his or her blog needs to be monitored or first approved by an immediate supervisor and operations security officer."

The soldiers in question are instead going to be educated on what is and isn't appropriate to post online. The fact sheet states: "this regulation places trust in the solider, civilian employee, family member and contractor that they will use proper judgment to ensure operations security." The irony of this whole thing is that even if the soldiers were monitored for everything that they posted publicly, they could just as easily leak it to a contact via email who could then spread it willy-nilly online. No point in penalizing the honest guys; good move by the person(s) who wrote this fact sheet.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I think that whomever initially came up with the idea doesn't know how blogs work. If they can't trust their soldier to not post in his blog, he shouldn't be privy to top secret information, because he could just as easily say something in real life.

That's my point. Blogs are one of many ways of leaking the information. There's no way the commanders can monitor what the soldiers speak or do, so what makes them think that monitoring blogging will do any good?

They've taken the right approach: keep it from happening by educating the soldiers.

One of my friends had his blog shut down becuase of this rule. He is serving overseas as a Reconnaissance Marine and has had his blog/website up for years without incident.

Its funny how the govt will trust him (as they trust all Recon Marines) enough to drop a $40k+ JDAM on living bodies or other strategical targets he relays into his Command but not enough to blog.

Ironically most cases it isn't the little guys like him that have issues leaking information, its big wig politicians (as seen in recent years) that discuss confidential information to people without the "need to know".

Either way, these politicians and that Marine that gave the blueprints to the KGB agent (years back) are the people we have to pay the price for :(

Also, to think the DoD doesn't monitor their inbound/oubound traffic in any form is silly (regardless what they say publically). They watch over traffic like a Hawk, especially since belonging to the DoD you actually have less rights than you do as a civilian.

I tolerated this for 4 years which gave me new respect for the rights I do have as a US Citizen but were denied as a US Marine.

Bless those that serve, for they are truly making a sacrafice.

As the LAN administrator of a US Nuclear Submarine, I was privy to the monitoring of e-mails to and from the sailors based aboard the ship. I can tell you without reservation that while a person may believe that what they are writing or saying is completely harmless he or she may let something slip that should not be released. This monitoring is not only for the protection of national security but also for the protection of the military members themselves. It is my personal opinion that policy of monitoring blogs should have remained in place. As a member of the US Military you KNOWINGLY suborn some of your rights. The Military regularly trains its troops on information security but you still have drunk/horny/pissed off troops letting things loose.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.