do you think you will watch 47 Ronin

Eventually, but am no fan of Hollywood movies. They're all so standard and similar (or worse, a plain copy), with the odd exception now and then.

I will say this about The Desolation of Smaug - some of the outdoor shots had the look and feel like they were shot on a set rather than on location.

Both hobbit films used a lot of green screen and it was really obvious.

Member Avatar for diafol

Hobbit 2 HDS 3D - saw it yesterday in the cinema. Really looong. Fell asleep for 5 minutes in the middle until my son woke me up. How to drag out a small-ish novel into 3 long films - Jackson really needs a lesson in how to wrap things up. I bet he says goodbye 20 times before hanging up the phone.

Anyway, the film was OK. I'd rate it C+

Bruce Almighty

and

V for Vendetta

really good movie....

Black Swan. If you haven't seen it don't bother. What a waste of time.

Black swan sucked but natalie portman was pretty good in the film

The Lone Ranger -- good movie, but nothing like the original tv series from the 1950s.

@AD, too bad the producers considered that film a flop...

Probably because the lone ranger was a wimp (Eastern lawyer), the movie was more about tonto than it was the lone ranger and was a comedy, not drama. Don Knotts would have been just as good, maybe better, in that part had he been alive.

I recall an old (really old) episode of "Have Gun, Will Travel" which featured a group of Mandarin Chinese, all of whom were portrayed by white actors. Don't you imagine that a modern movie could do better than to cast Johnny Depp as Tonto? What's next? Tom Hanks as Nelson Mandella? I don't care how good an actor you are, some parts are just not meant for some people.

I don't care how good an actor you are, some parts are just not meant for some people.

Tyler Perry & Eddy murphy seem to be pretty good... ;D

Member Avatar for diafol

WRT Lone Ranger - I couldn't work out if it was supposed to be funny or not. Cap'n Jack as Tonto didn't work for me. If you're going to make a send-up, go for it with both barrels, not this mish-mash. Pretty predictable too. Not a big fan. The original series with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels was my Saturday morning diet (along with other B&W series Champion the Wonder Horse, Zorro and Flash Gordon) and any film was always going to be a disappointment.

Believe it or not, I even listened to Lone Ranger episodes on old 78 records. Although the only thing I can recall about it is that they used (frequently) a refrain from Dvorak's New World Symphony (not to mention Rossini's William Tell Overture).

Member Avatar for diafol

78's! Did you have to crank the handle too and direct the trumpet-thingy?
Love NWS - there used to be an advert when I was a kid for Hovis brown bread - always takes me back. Great stuff.

Anyway back to movies. I saw Elysium on PPV the other night - can't decide whether I liked it or not. Predictable as hell and a tired format, but nice scenery. Not enough to make it a 'recommended'.

Did you have to crank the handle too and direct the trumpet-thingy?

Nope. we had 'lecticity back then (and not just the kind you got from rubbing the cat) and an old console that would play 33 1/3, 45 and 78 records. Nowadays I am strictly CD/MP3 but I have a very nice antique wind-up with a needle that looks like it could be replaced with a finishing nail that still plays 78s. I keep it because it fits with the decor.

78's! Did you have to crank the handle too and direct the trumpet-thingy?

I had one of those when I was a kid -- still have some of the old glass 8 inch records for it that I've saved all these years (probably 50+ years)

Watched Hansel and Gretel again tonight -- very good action-packed movie

A movie from 1902 Click Here

I went to see the 'Lone Survivor' on Sunday, it was fantastic. An amazing movie done with an amazing story. If you don't know about it you should definitely check it out.

Just done watching a Bruce Willis flic from 1996, Last Man Standing, which was a remake of the 1964 movie, A Fistful of Dollars, which was a remake of the 1961 move, Yojimbo, which was based on the Dashiell Hammett book, Red Harvest.

I saw Jack Ryan (good), Hercules (crap), Lone Survivor (kind of bad...), and Ride Along (crap... all the funny scenes were in the trailers) in theater (not in the same day)

Member Avatar for diafol

Watched the Kill Bill duology again.
Saw Riddick 3 - wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. I'd give it 7/10.

@diafol, I just watched Riddick too and liked it. It was nothing more or less than I thought it would be and would give an 8ish out of 10.

A couple more days and I'm going to rent Captain Phillips, really looking forward to that one.

the first Matrix ... reminded me of a time when having a cell phone still gave the "WHOA" effect :)

This is the End - It was ok, not as good as I expected seemed to be more like an excuse for the main stars to create their dream party & bring to life all their craziest ideas than a serious film.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.