Came through this question in some interview...

A car travelled 28km from A to B in 30 minutes. If the distance between A and B is 36km,Then what is the speed of the car in kmph?

Anyone with Answer && explanation ..

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

The speed of the car was 72km/hour, and the odometer is broken. ;)

he speed of the car was 72km/hour, and the odometer is broken. ;)

haha..@deceptikon I am not asking about your car. :)

56km/h and it is still in transit.

Either the car jumped forward X distance (since the total distance travelled is less than the distance between the points), the driver stopped for lunch or it was going fast enough for time around the vehicle to slow down (and thus the 8km that are 'missing' where made up without any time passing).

Then either the car is still traveling

Nope, the question clearly states that the car traveled (past tense) from A to B (a complete trip).

or it jumped part of the distance?

Or the person asking this question is math impaired? I still think that the most rational answer is 72km/hour and a broken odometer. How else would a car travel 36km and only report traveling 28km?

Or the person asking this question is math impaired? I still think that the most rational answer is 72km/hour and a broken odometer. How else would a car travel 36km and only report traveling 28km?

Hmm... not sure the interviewer would appreciate that answer but I think I would agree.

Although the distance between A & B is 36km, the driver of the car knew a shortcut, or his SatNav was set to 'Fastest route' indicating a distance of 36km and he saw the opportunity to shave some distance off that by adjusting his route contrary to the SatNav's recommendation.

There may have been two routes from A to B, one being through a Toll or a tunnel, and the other being the long route.

Over the distance of 28km he travelled an average speed of 56km/h

commented: Hmm... an interesting theory. +0

No clearly the driver travelled through a worm hole which connected two locations in space-time 8km apart thus being able to 'teleport' the missing distance. I wouldn't put it past Col. O'Neill ....

A car travelled 28km from A to B in 30 minutes. If the distance between A and B is 36km,Then what is the speed of the car in kmph?

well ... the distance isn't 36 km.

this is an 'impossible to answer question' as is. we know the time it took for them to drive the 28 km, we don't know the time he has driven over the 36 km.

It may have been an amphibious Car and was able to take a shortcut across a river or lake.

What sort of puzzle would it be without an element of ambiguity and distraction? I disagree with Einstein's thought that imagination is more important than knowledge, I like to think that imagination is just as important as knowledge. Ignoring the possibilities avoids the opportunities.

Actually the distance between A & B is irrelevant. If you take note of the question "A car travelled 28Km from A to B in 30 minutes snip What is the speed of the car in kmph" you have all the information you need from the first part of the sentence.

The answer is 56Km/h as answered by Agilemind.

It appears the second part of the question is meant to trick you. This is probably a question to see if you can distinguish important facts from redundant (or misleading) facts. This is often an important aspect in programming.

The 56km/s is correct, but it is only half the answer.

It is the entire answer. The question: How fast is the car travelling? Answer: 56km/h

Nothing else is required. Not how long does it take to get to B, has the car arrived at B, is the car an aeroplane, did it break physics, if Sally has three apples and tommy has five apples, who divided by zero etc.

As the first person to answer 56km/h I have attributed the correct answer to be his, however, if your point is that it is only half of his answer, then yes, you are right ;)

If the Car was still in transit then Agile has got the answer in the bag.

But if the puzzle was just a quick mathematics question and not a genuine logic problem then it was a duff question. :-)

If the car is still in transit, we don't know what the speed is. If there is no traffice, it is faster. If there is a traffic jam it is slow. If the traffice is the same then the speed is the same. If the car has already arrived, it's speed is zero, as it is parked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.