I am looking into developing a few websites, and I am debating whether to use asp.net or php. I am very proficient in asp; however, i have not used it in years, thus i don't remember the syntax very well. I do not want to use asp because it is an antiquated language.

What makes this decision difficult is that asp.net is simpler and easier for me to learn because of my experience with asp. Since i will be going to college next year, i will probably have to use Java (I checked with my #1 choice, Upenn... they use primarily java) and i believe it will be more beneficial to learn php as i will be able to apply it to Java easier.

This goes back to the old age proble; What should i learn, Open Source (PHP) vs .NET (ASP.net)?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I have the perfect answer for you. Use ASP.NET there are many reasons why.

1. Faster than php because it runs on the .NET framework is based on compiled languages and the Web applications is compiled and not interpreted.

2. If you do ASP.NET use C# for the code behind pages because it is a lot colser to java than php is.

3. In using ASP.NET I have found more help for it and nicer people wereas in the open source community (that i love by the way and wil fight for anyday of the week.) I get a lot of RTFM on stuff that i dont understand even after i have read for a couple of hours on how to do it.

4. Another reason is you have a lot better IDE's to choose from for ASP.NET such as the webmatrix which is an excellent free IDE for asp.net. You can get it at http://www.asp.net also there is Visual Studio.NET that a lot of people use but it costs money, but IMO is well worth it.

5. There is honestly more money in ASP.NET if you are looking at makeing some money at it I frequently find more jobs of people looking for .NET developers for ASP.NET or window forms projects than I do php.

6. If you learn ASP.NET you will have a major heads up on learning Windows Forms to make regular applications in windows using the .NET framework.

These are just a few of the reasons why you shoule learn ASP.NET over php. I know both but personlly love how fun and easy it is to develop ASP.NET applications over php web sites.

Hope that helps.

p.s. For a great resource to learn ASP.NET go to http://www.asp.net there are lots of people there to help you out. Also for excellent articles to read on learing ASP.NET visit http://www.4guysfromrolla.com

percent20... i completely agree with you!

What makes this so difficult is that i will be going to college next year (probably double major in cs and business) and i will most likely be using java. I, basically, decided to learn php since it will be easier to learn java afterwards.

1. Faster than php because it runs on the .NET framework is based on compiled languages and the Web applications is compiled and not interpreted.

Im pritty certain you can compile PHP too.

But also J#.net, would be the best to use interopratability (spelling) wise, since you could send java objects too your sever, if you where that way incliend.

Why would Java be easier to learn once you know php?
Java is nothing like php. php is now where JSP was around 1999, but JSP has moved on and is now nowhere near where it was back then.

If you want an easier entry into Java think about C++ and Delphi (yes, I know the syntax is different but the organisation is similar).

Im pritty certain you can compile PHP too.

After doing a little research and watching some videos with people that work with php professionaly I have found that php is actually interpreted at the moment. There is work on a compiler though for .NET go to http://www.php-compiler.net

PHP is pretty easy to learn, quite honestly. Just go here:

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/index.php

When you are ready to begin more advanced development, use this:

Classes and Objects (PHP5):

http://us3.php.net/zend-engine-2.php

PHP5 now has many of the OO features included in Java. In my opinion, PHP would be the way to go. You get the object oriented functionality, security, as well as open source licensing.

Let's clear up a misconception: PHP cannot be encoded/compiled.

If you want your code encoded/compiled, you can purchase an encoder/compiler direct from Zend. There are also many other companies which provide compilers as well.

Not to mention, the open source community. Do a search for almost any PHP problem you encounter, and 90% of the time it has already been asked and answered online.

If you are looking for a web based solution, PHP is the way to go. I would ask yourself this, after reading about PHP:

Can you find the same, free, answers and documentation so readily available for ASP as PHP? Also consider the licensing issues, and how it pertains to your situation.

percent20... i completely agree with you!

What makes this so difficult is that i will be going to college next year (probably double major in cs and business) and i will most likely be using java. I, basically, decided to learn php since it will be easier to learn java afterwards.

learn java .... is a little bit difficult , but it's much more complex than php ..

php is only for web based solutions ... :eek:

Hii,,

All I have to say that PHP is much better as compared to .NET and Java.

Just put it this way,

PHP is much more flexible and easy to learn than .NET,
An expertise in PHP can also do programming in notepad(:icon_smile: ), i.e use a simple notepad as a code editor,
but looking at the processing of .NET & Java, its becomes very much difficult

& as fsn812 told ealier, open source developers can easily sort out the problems encountered.

Plus there are many open source products available, THANX to the open source community
i.e have PHPBB, OS Commerce, Joomla etc etc which are really helpful.

So, I think open source PHP really has a good future...

ALL THE BEST..

BhaviK

Hii,,

All I have to say that PHP is much better as compared to .NET and Java.

Just put it this way,

PHP is much more flexible and easy to learn than .NET,
An expertise in PHP can also do programming in notepad(:icon_smile: ), i.e use a simple notepad as a code editor,
but looking at the processing of .NET & Java, its becomes very much difficult

BhaviK

you can do asp.net programming in notepad as well, the IDE is not required, it just facilitates your job.

Yes,,,

Taking notepad as the editor,
For creating the simplest page in php. u just have 2 write down the php code & the html

unlink asp.net, where
u have 2 create files like web.config & many other....!!!

commented: This is not a chat room. Use proper English. -2

If you like Java you should look into JSP, Servlets, JR2EE development. That would be ideal for your web development since you like Java. Howerver since you have knowledge in ASP.NET I would definantly learn C#. C# and Java are very simular languages and it will be nice to know at least one strong OOP languages. PHP on the other hand is not a strongly type language. Although you can do almost everything in PHP that you could in other languages, PHP is far more flexible. In the web world, most people are only good at one or the other. Now a days employers are looking for open source and .NET Developers. It will be benifitial for you to learn both.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.