I want to develop applications that can be used through a touch screen. What compiler should I use? Please help

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Its not the compiler but the touch screen device driver. Is this for a PC or wireless? touch screens on a PC are all different so you will have to read the manufacturer's programming documentation to find out how to interface with it. Its been about 10 years since I programmed for them on a PC so technology has probably improved. If you mean wireless device then you don't have to do anything because the os will convert it into normal cursor events.

Its not the compiler but the touch screen device driver. Is this for a PC or wireless? touch screens on a PC are all different so you will have to read the manufacturer's programming documentation to find out how to interface with it. Its been about 10 years since I programmed for them on a PC so technology has probably improved. If you mean wireless device then you don't have to do anything because the os will convert it into normal cursor events.

So for instance I can develop a program in VB, then if I use a touch screen where I have to click I'll touch?

the complier shouldn’t matter at all a few years back I developed a program in VB to get user input with a touch screen as far as the software was concerned it didn’t know or care if the user was touching the screen with his finger or clicking the buttons with the mouse.

I am currently programming for a touch screen terminal. I use ASP.NET (vb) and the terminal does not care what language I use. Your touch is as good as a click!

So not to worry, I think you should concentrate on delivering the product, touchscreen or no, you would not know the difference - code wise! :!: :mrgreen:

the complier shouldn’t matter at all a few years back I developed a program in VB to get user input with a touch screen as far as the software was concerned it didn’t know or care if the user was touching the screen with his finger or clicking the buttons with the mouse.

Could you please furnish more information about this VB (ASP.NET) VB ?? example will be great !

For more detailed info on the ASP.NET or VB.NET please visit www.microsoft.com.:|

Could you please furnish more information about this VB (ASP.NET) VB ?? example will be great !

you just need a right kind of touch screen device.You can use any language for programing . what your device will does is convert the touched point to x,y co-ordinate and send the data the same way as any mouse pointer does.So the way you develop a program for mouse pointer you acn develop a program for touch screen

I would suggest to use WPF as part of Microsoft .NET framework. along with Visual Studio 2008 or 2010(Beta 2). You can try and even use free express versions if you code in vb.net or C#.

What if we want to use i phone like events(pinch, flip, zoom) on Windows . is there any support for developing such apps on windows 7? which softwares or programs can accommadate such features for windows?
thanks
Sid

Excellent question... has microsoft developed a package or library that would read multitouch inputs, so that these are managed by events?

What if we want to use i phone like events(pinch, flip, zoom) on Windows . is there any support for developing such apps on windows 7? which softwares or programs can accommadate such features for windows?
thanks
Sid

Here is a tutorial using Visual Studio 2008:
http://channel9.msdn.com/learn/courses/Windows7/Multitouch/Win7MultiTouchGestureNative/Exercise-1-Build-a-Multitouch-Application/

A little off-topic: Is there a way to simulate multi-touch capabilities?
I noticed some time ago, if you plug another mouse into USB, Windows will handle 2 cursors at the same time. This worked before Win 7. Could one use 2 mice (or more) to emulate multi-touch?

I want to develop applications that can be used through a touch screen. What compiler should I use? Please help

Hi,

In my case, I'm developing on a PC with Windows 7 using C# language/compiler. The Win7 OS supports touch screen no problem.
For what you need, be aware I ported this same application to an XP based machine with an older touch screen monitor and it worked equally as easily there - no change required at all.

Depending on your requirements, you may want to concentrate on mouse events (my next revision) to provide possible drag/drop functions and further processes depending on user on-screen input movements (i.e. Select a section of the screen, drop it on another section or icon and what it does then).

If you find the right application information you are indeed fine, as suggested above. It is about the interface capabilities. This means it is no different than using a a usb controller, you make a program specific to its capabilities and if a controller does not have the necessary button for example, it will not be able to perform the function only the basics.

You may want to also look into qt-project.org . Qt is a cross-platform application and UI framework for developers using C++ or QML, a CSS & JavaScript like language. Many touchscreen and embedded software developers use Qt to develop their applications.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.