It's gotta be SIMULA, it's cool because it represented a paradigm shift in how we think and go about solving problems with software, introducing what became the key concepts of OOP, concepts which just about every language since has incorporated. They all owe SIMULA big time so it's the coolest.

The first language I learnt was QBASIC (actually, thats a lie, the first language I learnt was english..)

But yeah, QBASIC all the way, I was about 11 and I didn't even know what a pointer was, I don't think I even knew what an array was. My code must have looked horrible.

we should make a poll.

Matt

I wonder how many people posted know more than the language they posted?

For me, I think the coolest language is either C# or VB.NET... Hard to be the simplisity (hard word to spell) and power of .NET.

For me, I think the coolest language is either C# or VB.NET... Hard to be the simplisity

Making it run on a solaris server ain't simple I can tell you that!

No It isn't....

It's all a matter of taste. C is the language it all started with, though at that time I thought assembly was the coolest.

Then I found prolog and thought, wow. This is it.

Then I did pascal which was a lot of fun. However in school we learned SmallTalk which was the first truly OO language. THAT was cool.

And then came Perl. Anything was possible. Macros, OO with multiple inheritance, no type checking... That redefined cool.

However, I have still not found anything that matches a Turing Machine. In my humble opinion this is definitely coolest of all.

B.t.w., did anyone here ever experimented with Brainfuck ?? It only has 8 commands, and looks a lot like a turing machine...

B.t.w., did anyone here ever experimented with Brainfuck ?? It only has 8 commands, and looks a lot like a turing machine...

i was intrigued, so had a look on google, turned up alot of related material. For comedic value, this is a good contender for coolest programming language:

http://esoteric.voxelperfect.net/wiki/Hello_world_program_in_esoteric_languages#DOGO

EDIT : nope, i changed my mind; this is the coolest:

http://esoteric.voxelperfect.net/wiki/Hello

/EDIT

and this looks pro:

http://www.safalra.com/programming/gravity/specification/

I have been working on something like this recently; but the opposite, trying to implement real-time gravity in a matrix space based on the "accumulation" of mass. It's far too slow though :P

Matt

Coolest Programming Language is ACTION SCRIPT becos lot of animations can be done

Python: child-like syntax and easy use that fires-off mature output and hardened results.

C for me, C code can be called from Python, Perl and many other languages. COupled with GUI features of Python and the modules demanding performance in C, try to beat that combo.

It's all a matter of taste. C is the language it all started with, though at that time I thought assembly was the coolest.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but wasn't ForTran 66 the first high level language (from which most languages including C inherited most of the simpler commands from)?

Steven.

Coolest Programming Language is ACTION SCRIPT becos lot of animations can be done

ActionScript is actually a much-overlooked language!

To make a tile-based/maze type game with collision detection, screen-relative scrolling and all that la, is faster than any other language I've used, ever, including languages written specifically for that kind of purpose.

And I love its latebound objects/variables and lack of a strict variable defintion, etc.. It's JavaScript with a well-linked GUI system.

The concept of MovieClips being objects is very flexible to.

Its nice.

Actionscript is not actually a language since it comes with a proprietary package of Macromedia Flash. In the flash universe it can be regarded as a language but in generic terms, no.
It is an addon added to flash to get better control over the components and their behaviour.

Just my 2 cents.

Syntactically ActionScript IS JavaScript. And JavaScript is a language.

Together with Flash, it is ActionScript, and it's as much a programming language as VB. If you don't consider VB to be a language... You miss a big point with programming, user simplicity.

Like I said, ActionScript is overlooked.

You have completely missed the point or havent read my post carefully.

But expericence has shown me that you cant just bring back someone from the otherside so if someone is a VB or Actionscript proponent, nothing can convince them against it.

I have always considered VB and its peers likes a childs play.

Just one simple point:
A C programmer can easily adapt himself to VB -- for him it will be a piece of cake, but someone who has always loved VB will bleed to death figuring out why the hell do you need the address of a variable.

But before it turns out to be a lang war just to let you know that its a matter of personal preference.

no need for a personal attack.

the only requirement for a language is a lexicon (dictionary) and a syntax. Js/As and Vb have unique lexicons, and well-honed syntaxes, based on Java/Perl/C++ and the many revisions of BASIC respectively.

while I guess AS is more a scripting language, it IS a language, and in the Flash environment, it certainly plays very well, in my eyes, sufficient for it to be considered "different" from JS itself.

this overplayed "BASIC programmers will never be C programmers" claim has never held much salt. I learnt programming in BASIC on a calculator and QBASIC on a 486, I have no problem with C or C++. I no longer use BASIC for much, BUT only because what I do has changed. If I wanted to make Windows utility programs quickly, theres's a large chance VB would be my first port of call. If I want to make CGI, I use Perl, If I don't really know what I'm doing, I use Java.

If I decided to make a high-end well defined game, I would use C++ with DX, and I know from experience, I am capable of doing that... Finishing anything I start would be a nice change though...

and I am neither bleeding, nor dead.

Hey first of all, "there was no personal attack in my post". Highlight the section in my post which shows it.

I would ask you to stop taking it personally and I definately dont doubt your abilities coz i dont know you personally. You might have being the project leader of Warcraft , I dont know.

I specifically ended my two posts saying:

Just my 2 cents.

My own belief, no one can control that.

just to let you know that its a matter of personal preference.

Everyone choses whatever they like. I dont have any control over them.

And whatever was stated by me in previous posts was just my own personal experience. Of course there is no perfect lang or best lang for any task. Maybe even i would have to do VB someday as a part of project, I would do it.

But Personal liking is a different matter.

And please "stop taking this personally".

You attacked VB programmers in general, implying that their art is "child's play" you also took on an air of superiority in your comment:

A C programmer can easily adapt himself to VB -- for him it will be a piece of cake, but someone who has always loved VB will bleed to death figuring out why the hell do you need the address of a variable.

Which you then edited (bold section did not originally appear when I replied, instead it read: "figuring out how to use C")

Which I decided, perhaps wrongly, was directed at myself. My reply was strictly a technical comeback, and not wrongly taking something personally. Had I taken it personally, I would probably not have replied. However, I felt, from a technical standpoint, it was right, or at least acceptable for me to contradict your comment.

Originally, the discussion was about programming languages, and I felt it neccessary to argue with your classification of what is and isn't a language. That was a personal choice, indeed.

=)

On a completely different note, this thread has been open for ages! Is it possible to get a conclusive vote/poll on here? :/

You attacked VB programmers in general, implying that their art is "child's play" you also took on an air of superiority in your comment:

Bah, air of superiority. I never would go to such lengths. I respect all genres of programmers and was narrating the experience of my friend, who had a tough time doing the transition. I dont watn to be beaten up by the whole VB. NET forum for doing something like that. :D

Which I decided, perhaps wrongly, was directed at myself. My reply was strictly a technical comeback, and not wrongly taking something personally. Had I taken it personally, I would probably not have replied. However, I felt, from a technical standpoint, it was right, or at least acceptable for me to contradict your comment. =))

Point well taken in .

All peace and if it makes you happy, *damn it* long live VB programmers.:mrgreen:

On a completely different note, this thread has been open for ages! Is it possible to get a conclusive vote/poll on here? :/

Naa.. not possible especially when it is realated to some language. The result will always be a biased one.

All peace and if it makes you happy, *damn it* long live VB programmers.:mrgreen:

it made me smile =)

hmm.. if there was a vote, it'd need to have lots of options, or be heavily grouped... =/

my choice would change every other month aswell.

Some of these comments remind me of the Blub Paradox

A really good read. I like it.

>>You attacked VB programmers in general, implying that their art is "child's play"

Isn't it? Any 10 year old child can program in that language. Most real professional programmer would not be caught dead using VB. But that attitude may change in the future with VB .NET because it can be freely mixed with C, C++ and C# to make a complete program.

Sshh.. dont say things like that, otherwise he would again fly in rage and say that you are personally attacking him. :D

And btw the article posted by Mr. Rashakil goes out to show that one language is always powerful than other. (thats what i got from the article).

WBSP is definitely the best! I can tell, because I've programmed it.
:cool:

Isn't it? Any 10 year old child can program in that language. Most real professional programmer would not be caught dead using VB.

Theres making a popup message that says "I AM HAXOR" and writing good OO code good in the VB environment.

And my original point was: the fact the Visual Basic language is easy to learn and tightly linked with the VisualBasic IDE; doesn't make it any less of a language. Infact, it gains an amount of power for being "basic" yet flexible. VB.NET... dunno.. I don't like the idea of coding with a Microsoft-only product anymore. Consider Delphi before VB.NET.

And btw the article posted by Mr. Rashakil goes out to show that one language is always powerful than other. (thats what i got from the article).

I would say, it goes out to show that there is always a correct language to use in a given situation, and that that is not neccessarily "the most powerful language". Like the article says; the most powerful language is machine code. Would a professional programmer be caught dead writing user applications in machine code? O_o

>>You attacked VB programmers in general, implying that their art is "child's play"

Isn't it? Any 10 year old child can program in that language. Most real professional programmer would not be caught dead using VB. But that attitude may change in the future with VB .NET because it can be freely mixed with C, C++ and C# to make a complete program.

Hmmm... I remember my brother doing a lot of things with VB when he has nothing to do with programming in general. :p

I would say, it goes out to show that there is always a correct language to use in a given situation, and that that is not neccessarily "the most powerful language".

I agree -- for example I would not think of using either C or C++ to build Office Automation projects -- much simpler and faster to use VB Scripts for that. We tried using C++ to build a slide show project and the programming became horribly complex. Also C/C++ is not very good for reports -- COBOL (how do you spell Yuk!) is better for that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.