I only know the first line. It's like:

On the first day of Christmas..... I forgot the song!

Member Avatar for Warrens80

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Two Turtle Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the third day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the fourth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the fifth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the sixth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the seventh day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the eighth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Eight Maids a Milking
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the ninth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Nine Ladies Dancing
Eight Maids a Milking
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the tenth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Ten Lords a Leaping
Nine Ladies Dancing
Eight Maids a Milking
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the eleventh day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Eleven Pipers Piping
Ten Lords a Leaping
Nine Ladies Dancing
Eight Maids a Milking
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

On the twelfth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
12 Drummers Drumming
Eleven Pipers Piping
Ten Lords a Leaping
Nine Ladies Dancing
Eight Maids a Milking
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Golden Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

My solution ...

people = sum(range(8, 13))
print(people)

Funny, all you athiests out there so willingly use the Gregorian calendar, which is based on Christian holidays (Easter, Christmas and the birth of Christ). If you don't believe in God then why use the Gregorian calendar? Why not the Chinese or some other calendar? Even the year 2013 means 2,013 years since the birth of Christ (which is just a guess).

The term Anno Domini is Medieval Latin, translated as In the year of the Lord,[1] and as in the year of Our Lord.[2][3]:782 It is sometimes specified more fully as Anno Domini Nostri Iesu (Jesu) Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ").

Because it's the unofficial global calendar and not using it would just make things unnecessarily complicated.

Just because someone of faith does something, does not mean an Atheist must not do that something.

Additionally, the Chinese use a lunisolar calendar in a civil capacity (for special social events) as I believe this used to be the national calendar. They did not follow a western religion and so had no exposure to the Gregorian calendar. However, in modern day they do use the Gregorian calendar for business purposes.

In England, the national calendar is the Gregorian calendar. England itself, or America for that matter are countries of faith. Going against the national standard, just because an Atheist doesn't share their belief with, for example Christianity, is illogical.

I also fail to understand why the sudden pop at Atheism when, as far as I can tell, no one has taken a shot at any other belief in this thread.

AD takes pot shots at atheists and I take pot shots at Republicans. It's just what we do :-) Please note that nowhere does AD say we are stupid for doing so. He asks a valid question (however, one with an obvious answer).

And sometimes it is not just pot shots. We got into a very lengthy discussion about religion here some time back.

yea, I enjoy stirring the pot occasionally to see what falls out. :)

I stirred the pot about mandela amd tht stirred things up alot

Member Avatar for diafol

Funny, all you athiests out there so willingly use the Gregorian calendar, which is based on Christian holidays (Easter, Christmas and the birth of Christ). If you don't believe in God then why use the Gregorian calendar? Why not the Chinese or some other calendar? Even the year 2013 means 2,013 years since the birth of Christ (which is just a guess).

It works and is a slight improvement on the Julian calendar. Do you propose that followers of different faiths or of no faith residing in the same country use different calendars? Bit of a strange thing to suggest AD, even for you. Are you suggesting that we are not worthy to use the same calendar as you, or is this an attempt at some ridicule, unfathomable as that may be?

Christians usually think they're better than everybody else and thus deserve special priviledges. This argument prompts me to say "Christians may not call days of the week Saturday, Wednesday, Thursday... due to the glorification of pagan gods". You may be old enough to remember the good old days of the Julian calendar, but please, don't foist it on the rest of us.

commented: Good point about the weekday names. +0

Do you propose that followers of different faiths or of no faith residing in the same country use different calendars? Bit of a strange thing to suggest AD, even for you.

I'm in NYC and us jews use the hebrew calendar, so yes. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_calendar

Christians usually think they're better than everybody else and thus deserve special priviledges

Not at all -- I just find it rather funny that the entire world has adopted the Christian calendar. Why not adopt the Chinese calendar? It just goes to show that the birth of Christ was one of the most significant and important events in world history. No other person, living or dead, has had more influence on the history of the world.

Member Avatar for diafol

I'm in NYC and us jews use the hebrew calendar, so yes. :)

Fair one, but I'm not denying that certain groups have their traditional calendars. My bad, I should have made myself clearer - the offical usage in one country tends to resolve to one format. Even in non-Western countries the official format for international dealings tends to be Gregorian. I was wondering if AD was proposing that we all start using different ones out of principle for not being Christians. Why should the Chinese calendar be a better option?

The official calendar in China today is the Gregorian calendar, which is a solar calendar. It is used for public and business affairs.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_calendar

I'm assuming AD is against the Chinese - who are predominantly non-Christian - using the Gregorian calendar.

I'm in NYC and us jews use the hebrew calendar, so yes. :

According to that wiki article, even the Hebrew calendar has some reference to the birth of Christ

Until the Tannaitic period (approximately 10–220 CE)

CE -- Common Era or Christian Era

I don't mean to deny anyone from using the Gregorian calendar -- it's just seems a little odd we didn't standardize on the Hebrew or Chinese calendar instead, and I'm sure there probably have been many other calendard around the different nations on earth.

Why should the Chinese calendar be a better option?

Because AFAIK it is not based on any religion.

Member Avatar for diafol

Not at all -- I just find it rather funny that the entire world has adopted the Christian calendar. Why not adopt the Chinese calendar?

It's not funny, it's due to the Christians over-running the place in their attempt at converting the world to their cult. Being an atheist back then was tantamount to signing your own death warrant, so who the heck was going to develop a non-Christian calendar? So, comes the time of enlightenment, the rational age, atheists are not persecuted to the same extremes by the Christians. Why would Western atheisists use the Chinese calendar? Doesn't make much sense to me.

It just goes to show that the birth of Christ was one of the most significant and important events in world history. No other person, living or dead, has had more influence on the history of the world.

It was. They haven't - thank Dog - well not yet. We'll see what the followers of Mohammed will do about that over the next few hundred years. Christ's legacy is something to be really proud of, isn't it? You can argue the toss either way, but the total misery brought to the world by this so-called Messiah is truly awe-inspiring. I can understand why somebody would wish to follow in his meek and mild footsteps.

Why should the Chinese calendar be a better option?

Because AFAIK it is not based on any religion.

That's a reason, but I don't think it outweighs the practicality of using a well-understood international system, whatever its origins.

Being an atheist back then was tantamount to signing your own death warrant,

Yes, you have a good point :)

Member Avatar for diafol

I would like to offer an unreserved apology to anybody offended by my previous posts (nobody has asked such of me, but...). I sometimes get carried away and may cross the line of propriety on occasion when discussing matters of faith and non-faith. I'm sorry.

Do you propose that followers of different faiths or of no faith residing in the same country use different calendars? Bit of a strange thing to suggest AD, even for you.

The world predominently uses a single calendar because we live in an inter-connected world, and we are in need of that level of standardization, much the same way English has become the standard language for conducting International business.

In Israel, the Hebrew calendar is the country's official calendar, and most Israelis use the Hebrew calendar not just to track religious holidays/ceremonies, but also for personal reasons. They use the gregorian calendar because it's been forced upon them to participate in the world, much the same way English has been forced upon many non-English speaking countries.

As a Jew who lives in NYC, my kitchen has a Hebrew calendar hanging on the wall, not a Gregorian calendar.

I thought we were talking about christmas

I would like to offer an unreserved apology to anybody offended by my previous posts (nobody has asked such of me, but...). I sometimes get carried away and may cross the line of propriety on occasion when discussing matters of faith and non-faith. I'm sorry.

There are two things I hardly ever bring up in public anymore, religion or politics. People get really easily offended, and some just completely lose their mind as soon as something is said that disagrees with what they believe. People don't like when they are challenged to question anything that they are supposed to believe in without question. I myself love all of the holidays, as long as it involves food, spirits, and gifts.

IMO declaring Christmas as a federal holiday violates that law. (Public Law 90-363)

it doesn't, unless the federal government dictates that everyone join a specific religious group and forces them to celebrate Christmas within that group.

That's what the establishment clause means, that congress can't create (or declare) a state religion, a religion that all citizens MUST be a member of.

Just declaring Christmas day to be a day off for federal workers doesn't do that (and that is what congress did).

Note that this is about the federal government only, individual states under the establishment clause are not preventing from demanding their citizens be a member of a specific religious group, and indeed several states have had such requirements at one point or another.

commented: sounds reasonable +0

Well, let's get back to X-mas. So J.C. was born 25 december of the year 0, right?

Matthew and Luke both state that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the Great who is believed to have died in 4 BCE.

1. Jesus wasnt born in december at all.

Why then, are we making all this hassle about it these days?

Matthew and Luke both state that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the Great who is believed to have died in 4 BCE.

So it is enough that two fisherman(it is said they are) write down that J.C. was born under Herod the Great, of whom we not seem to know exactly his date of death, that this becomes a fact.
If indeed a fact, then why the Gregorian calendar starts at year 1 or year 0 the "Birth of Christ"?
EDIT: Seems to be some analogy with arrays here...

Stop working...

I would but the lottery keeps avoiding my numbers that I play every weekend :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.