Hi,

I want to know how i can set up a PC as a webserver. Please let me know what the intricacies involved in running it as a server. i know about IIS or Apache and smiliar servers and i also do web designing, but i want to put my own server. please let me know how.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,

I want to know how i can set up a PC as a webserver. Please let me know what the intricacies involved in running it as a server. i know about IIS or Apache and smiliar servers and i also do web designing, but i want to put my own server. please let me know how.

Thanks

Do you want to set the server up for local testing purposes or for hosting a site from home?

In my opionion, if you want to host a personal site you can get good hosting deals for a few pounds per month - means you don't have to keep a machine running at home, will load faster and won't be affected if your connection goes down.

To get apache running simply download the apache installer (or for apache/php/mysql try xampp), then start the service using either the shortcut in the start menu or using the services box in the administrive tools.

For IIS, put your XP disk in the drive, go to add/remove programs and its in the menus there somewhere. I never really used IIS but I'm sure you can find lots of info in this forum or from MS's help forums.

Make sure that port 80 is open on your firewall and you should be good to go

Do you want to set the server up for local testing purposes or for hosting a site from home?

do you know how i'd set up a server for local testing purposes? i posted a thread "connect to self" sometime ago, that outlines what/why i want to do (it).

Matt

If you want it for your home network only have a look at WAMP or XAMPP. This has everything you need in one easy installer.

I want to setup a webserver for the web, not for testing or home network.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.