I just happened to have browsed to netscape.com and noticed their files have an *.adp extension. I was just curious what web dev language this was? I've never seen it before ...

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Incidently, what is the phtml extension I've been seeing as well?

You can only see true ADP pages in one place - AOL.com. Its a proprietary AOL language, thats not open to the public (only for aol). If the page is not on AOL.com, then someone just renamed another web extension to ADP and set up the server to handle ADP as whatever they want.

I'm pretty sure PHTML is a very uncommon extension for PHP.

Well, that makes sense because I saw the .adp extension at netscape.com, which, of course, is owned by AOL Time Warner.

AOL has an open source server at: http://aolserver.com/. It works tightly with the Tcl language, I believe. That's all I know. I've never tried it.

Then what is that ADP stuff? That aolserver.com thingie you sent me is all php based. :oops:

Yeah I know. I'm not sure if AOL uses that open source server. Maybe they use a suped up version of it. But in any case, it supports Tcl. You can embed Tcl in ADP (AOL Dynamic Pages) like PHP.

PHTML is the first extention used in the PHP family. I believe .phtml was commonly used around PHP v2, since the next installment in the family of extentions was .php3. After .php3 finally came the dictator of the PHP extentions, .php!

PHTML is the first extention used in the PHP family. I believe .phtml was commonly used around PHP v2, since the next installment in the family of extentions was .php3. After .php3 finally came the dictator of the PHP extentions, .php!

What does that have to do with ADP pages? Not being a smart ass. Just wondering.

Incidently, what is the phtml extension I've been seeing as well?

Just clarifying that more in detail =o]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.