Thought I'd throw this one at some of you experts :

just recently I am having problems opening most of My Picture files. A message comes on screen - no preview available. I have noticed that the information contained in the "date picture taken" and "dimensions" columns in details has gone. Also a file called " thumbs" has appeared in the effected folders ( most of my folders are effected). Many of the files have been modified on one of two dates.I am having a similar problem with My Documents. Does anyone know what could be going on?

Another thing - a balloon keeps popping up saying something about needing to archive my photos. Then when I follow that road I'm told that my Photo Album software has expired : that's another story 'cos I still think that Windows should be able to open my photos and documents.

A friend's son loaded up Picasa and I am able now to see some of my pictures But there are hundreds I can't see.

Any ideas???

Several things to try:

I believe the 'thumbs' are due to hidden folders being on.

SO, follow this:

1. Double-click My Computer.
  2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
  3. Click the View tab.
  4. Put a check by "Hide file extensions for known file types."
  5. Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Do not Show hidden files and folders."
  6. Check "Hide protected operating system files."
  7. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Secondly, let's see if its the preview itself causing the problems.

Inside the affected folders, right click and choose View> List.

Try opening again.

Has this changed anything?

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.