Alot of (mainly linux/perl/etc) documentation, websites and comments use this quoting style:

Type `hello' to invoke `system shutdown'.

Is there any particular reason to start the quoted block with a backtick (`) and end with a single quote (') ?

This isn't really a support question, I'm just intrigued...

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by WaltP

The quotes make it unambiguous what the user is supposed to type. If you left the quotes out, someone will probably try this

c:>hello to invoke system shutdown <Enter key>

Hm, why not just use normal (matched pairs) single or double quotes then?

type "hello" to invoke "system shutdown"

or

type 'hello' to invoke 'system shutdown'

Why have a backtick as the first quote and a single quote as the second quote for a block?

It's only in certain types of documentation that the quoting is done this way, it's only done in documentation and not program code, and I've seen it too frequently to dismiss it as multiple typos..

I can't find any examples now I've mentioned it; if I do, I'll post them here...

Is there any particular reason to start the quoted block with a backtick (`) and end with a single quote (') ? .

I had missed that part of your question. I suppose its just for aesthetics.

I think it's a throwback from the old typesetting days. when the ' and " were slanted slightly, or they looked like a dot with a tail like in books.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.