Hey

I got 64bit wine on my AMD installed finally, the thing is, I dont know how to use it, ive looked over the web, and tried a lot of stuff and still I am missing something.

I load up winecfg and browse to the application i want to run, when I click ok, I assume its ment to load the app up (correct me if I am wrong, I have never used wine b4) and nothing happens.

Could anyone explain how to use wine? Thanks

Im using Ubunto 7.06 64bit by the way.

:)

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I always do it from the command line so I can see what's happening.

# wine notepad.exe

Or if it's installed on your fake "C drive", you would do it like this:

# wine "c:\program files\etc"

Fake c drive? How do i get create that ?

What I currently have is my HDD in 3 partitions, one for ubuntu, one for windows and one for my software.

>Fake c drive?
Basically it's a folder inside of ~/.wine that has many of the standard files Windows would normally hold. Whenever you run a program's installer under Wine, the files go into this folder.

>How do i get create that ?
It's created automatically when you first run Wine.

So if the program that you want to run is on your desktop or something, just use the first command. If you've actually run an installer program to get the executable, you're going to need to use the second command, or a derivation thereof.

Beautiful. Thanks. I put a game called Icy Tower in the folder to test it out, and it runs. But it lags a real lot. How can I fix the lag? Also the keyboard keys sometimes stop working while running the game. Any heads up on that?

Thanks for that, at least I got it running, its a start :P

>But it lags a real lot.
Have you installed your video card drivers yet? If you've got a NVidia or ATI and you're using some generic Linux driver, your hardware is definitely not living up to its potential.

>Also the keyboard keys sometimes stop working while running the game.
Probably some glitch with Wine. Try checking out the application database page, most bugs and their respective fixes specific to a particular program are documented under the app's profile.

Thanks, yeah I used envy to get the driver, but the desktop effects stopped working and also the games i got for ubuntu started lagging, when I uninstalled the driver, everything worked smooth and the effects worked again.

Ill have a crack at some fixes I found on the net, ill let you know of the outcome

Thanks, yeah I used envy to get the driver, but the desktop effects stopped working and also the games i got for ubuntu started lagging, when I uninstalled the driver, everything worked smooth and the effects worked again.

Well, you certainly aren't going to be running that game at full speed if you're using a generic video driver. What card do you have? Have you tried going to Nvidia or ATI's website and just downloading/installing the driver? It's absolutely essential that you get your video drivers working before you try to do any real gaming.

commented: Thanks for you help +1

Yea I got an ATI Radeon 9550. I downloaded the driver once before and I think I had a problem getting it working, I'll try installing the driver again.

Ok. I uninstalled the envy driver which was stuffing things up and downloaded the ATI driver from the website. When I uninstalled envy it downloaded some lib files, not sure what for though.

I know its already off topic, but I installed the ATI driver and I dont know if its installing or not because it goes so quick, and the terminal just closes.

To check what drivers I have installed I go to System>Administration>Restricted Drivers Manager and I can see the driver there. But it says it is not in use, even though its enabled.

Any ideas on getting the driver working? Thanks

Ahh... after researching a bit more on this, there's actually a lot more configuration that's required to manually get it running than I thought. Probably better to do it the apt-get method, and then you'll have to run aticonfig to finally get it running.

Here's an excellent guide, by the way:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Feisty_Installation_Guide

I tried that guide, all that seemed to do was change settings and do nothing :P, for some reason it didnt work. It says to run this command:fglrxinfo and I should get this:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: MOBILITY RADEON 9700 Generic
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6458 (8.36.5)

Instead I get this:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 AGP 1x TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 6.5.2

Also the file xorg.conf doesnt exist, but i got xorg.conf.original-O

Its all too confusing, it seems the more I play around the worse it gets :P

>Also the file xorg.conf doesnt exist, but i got xorg.conf.original-O
Try copying xorg.conf.original-O to xorg.conf . And this file is in the /etc/X11 directory, I presume?

Thanks

Yea it is, how would i do that in the terminal because i dont have permissions

>Yea it is, how would i do that in the terminal because i dont have permissions

# sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-O /etc/X11/xorg.conf
[enter your user password]
#

I have no idea what happened, and my ubuntu couldnt load the GUI anymore, so i just formatted and started my ubuntu partition again. For some reason the tutorials i do just dont seem to work :P.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.