Is Dreamweaver a nice tool for design and web development? And it is a good tool for having a asp, aspx, php language for a page?

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbennet

The latest dreamweaver is quite good, but don't rely on the 'live-edit' features; if you don't know HTML they wont help you learn, and if you do know HTML you'll find them to be a hinderance.

As long as all you want is a syntax coloring text editor with a bit of code insight (i.e. it can list the attributes for tags and help with values like colors, fonts ) dreamweaver is a good tool.

I certainly wouldn't buy it for full price though..

For working with ASP/ASP.NET you'll probably want Visual Studio/Visual Studio.NET respectively, although neither are essential and you can write ASP certainly in any text editor. Same goes with PHP.

If all you want is a multisyntax coloring text editor, look at:

EditPlus: http://www.editplus.com/
Komodo: http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_ide/

Both for Windows; Komodo is probably the better of the two as it provides script debugging for a number of languages.. You gotta pay for both, but nowhere close to as much as you'd have to pay for Dreamweaver or VS.NET..

I just want to know how good Dreamweaver is..i never change my notepad++ to other multisyntax coloring text editor. thanks for your comment

Well, it's a 'well made' product; and I suppose it helps with project/site management aswell, so it's more than just a text editor. Basically, it's a text editor, a (nasty) live editing tool, an ftp client, a site manager, some wizards, a little collection of javascript examples, and assorted tools (like one to make regions on image maps).

But; personally I don't think it's worth the price tag. If I bought a copy for home use it would cost more than my PC did 2 years ago (it's a cheap PC), and all of the functionality it provides is available in the form of individual tools.

I guess, it's down to personal preference; do you prefer a consolidated tool and environment, or lots of separate tools?

I use aptana. Its opensource and baseed on eclipse. Has nice syntax highlithting, code completion etc...

Very dreamweaver like but without the WYSIWYG functions.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.