I've been thinking pretty heavily about what I want to do as far as a career is concerned. I knew that I wanted to work with computers, but I hadn't figured out in what capacity. I recently narrowed it down to Network Administrator or Database Administrator. I've since decided that I want to get into Database Administration. What I'm wanting to know from you guys is what is the best way to get into database administration? I currently have a CIS degree and am A+ certified. Should I seek MCDBA certification also, or should that wait until after I get into the career? What are some things I can do to prepare myself to be a database administrator? I've been thinking that I will purchase Windows 2000 or 2003 and SQL Server to familiarize myself with SQL and working within a database. What else would you recommend?

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Thanks for the tip! What OS is recommended? I'm guessing Windows Server 2003. Is that accurate? Are companies still using Windows 2000?

Thanks for the tip! What OS is recommended? I'm guessing Windows Server 2003. Is that accurate? Are companies still using Windows 2000?

Either is fine. All the databases (mainly PostgreSQL) I'm responsible for here run on Debian.

All the databases I listed (possibly with the exception of Sybase but I'm unsure) will run fine on both Windows and *nix systems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.