Got a couple of questions for you guys. First I just came in from PCSTATs.com where I was reading up on building your computer. Sense this will be my first build and from reading the threads here, how often should I test the unit and at what stages? PCStats built the complete unit before powering up.From what I've read here I would want to test the unit after the mobo and processor and one stick of memory are installed, correct?
Sense the hdd that I'm using is in this machine now, will I have any problems when I install it in the new unit?Has it married this mobo and will I have to do a wipe clean and reinstall the os?
All parts should be here tuesday and I hope to have it built by friday and on line.Looking forward to getting this new toy. After working on aircraft for thirty years this should be simple.I'm sure it has more space to work than an F4 did in places. Worked as an aircraft mechanic for ten years on Hueys and Bell Jet Rangers then went to work for the Dept of the Navy as an aircraft electrican on both fix wing and roto-wing aircaft for twenty five years. Just through I would give yall a little background information on this "old fart".

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

When I built my first computer, I powered on after I installed the processor.. to make sure that the fan and processor were functional.. Then I powered up again after the graphics card and RAM were installed.. Finally, I did one more check with all the hardware before I actually started to format and partition my hard drive. Now, I install everything at once, without powering on.. b/c most motherboards are very powerful, and can take it..

As for the hd that you are currently using.. it may have some compatibility issues with your new system. It just depends on how different the motherboards are... You will know right when you install the hd if you will have to reformat it or not.. The hd would not be able to boot to the os, and would instead give you a blue screen of death.. If the hd boots the OS properly, then Great! You have no issues.

Hope this helps some..

Install everything first, then power it on. Leave the case open and the additional cards (PCI, PCIE) unscrewed. You will have to fasten in everything else (HD, RAM, etc). This will allow quick and easy access incase there is some troubleshooting to do. If it's working great, shut down and then fasten everything in place for good.

I just built a new pc last week, actually. The CD-ROM drive was bad - bummer.

The system should boot using the old harddrive. It may not recognize many things anymore (resolution reverts to 800x600, that sorta thing), but it should still boot up.

The system should boot using the old harddrive. It may not recognize many things anymore (resolution reverts to 800x600, that sorta thing), but it should still boot up.

Not necessarily.. I just had a problem a few weeks ago where my hd could not recognize the new chipset when I installed it in a different build..

The OS will often not recognize the hardware. Installers will come with a ton of drivers ready to load, and then install the ones appropriate for your system. When you then take your install and put it on new hardware, sometimes you'll need a newer driver for something. Probably better to just reinstall at that point...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.