Hello,
I have many question to software engineers. I am 36 years old. I have been in IT for about 6 years as desktop support. I have recently gone back to school and am confused about what I should major in. A friend of mine told me to change my career to medicine but i have always wanted to continue school and finish my degree in software engineering. At my age is it worth it to continue in Software engineering and will there be a descent job waiting for me when i do graduate?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

most software engineering jobs require 3+ years experience so you might want to consider that.

most software engineering jobs require 3+ years experience so you might want to consider that.

What would be a starting salary for someone coming out of college?

im in the UK and its 15k-20k starting with 30k-40k with experience

£1 = about $2

What would be a starting salary for someone coming out of college?

I guess i am confused. See i have about 6 years experience in Desktop support/network support. I always figured that if i finished my bachelors degree i would be better off, but based on some of th information i am receiving it does not seem that way. I assumed that if I finsished my degree in Software eng, i would atleast be making something like 55k U.S. coming out of college.

its more like $30k - $40k

if you go freelance though, you can get much more but theres no job security

So going back to my first question at the top it looks like i am better off pursuing my career in Medicine rather than Software engineering?

well, well, well,....
Medicine and Software Engine are two different field. Since, you have been working in ICT field for 6 years,...whether you have degree or not, it doesn't really matter.

But, if you feel like changing to other field, be my guest..

Well, this is America....where people are free to pursue their own dream.

Somehow, really depend on what you like to be..

seeing as you already have some IT experience you coukd probably get entry straight into the second year of a software engineerng degree.

salary all depends on where you live. I went right out of college into a 50k / year job. I was 27 when I finished school. Your previous experience will help increase your salary because you do have real-world experience that the 22 year old you're competing with doesn't. Also...if you have any management or supervisory experience...that is a plus.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and comments. My last question would be, will there be a job for me waiting in software engineer when i finishe my bachelors degree in 2 years or will some of these jobs be going overseas like i have been reading. My worry is that i will study something that might not be there in 5 to 10 years?

Thanks

they are going oversas, yes but there will still be work

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.