So, I'm just about to graduate from college with my CS BS. I want to be able to use some of the programs I made in my courses as samples of my coding work when looking for jobs. However, whenever we were working on these programs in class, we had an on-campus unix server that we would login to and compile everything on. The thing is, I know I won't have access to this unix server anymore once I've graduated, and thus I don't know how I'm going to show my projects to other people. Do I just send the code and assume the employer has unix or something like it that they can compile it on? Or is there a way I make my programs into executable files that can be loaded onto the desktop and can just be double clicked to run? Or what? Thanks for any help--

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

no you need vc++ or turbo c++ compiler in your desktop.

What language(s) are your programs written in?

In order to get your source code you can copy your files to your home computer by SSH'ing to the college server and using an scp comand.

scp [source] [destination]

My programs are written in Java, C++, and C#.

Let me get this straight. You went through four years of college with a focus on computer science and have no idea how to build your projects on your own? I hope you didn't pay much for that course, and I'm rather afraid that you're about to enter the workforce as a peer of mine...

>My programs are written in Java, C++, and C#.
For Java, install the JDK and you've got the compiler. You can also do a google search for a Java IDE (because you probably need one).

For C++, it really depends on what system you use at home. I'm guessing Windows, and the usual recommendations are Visual C++ Express (free from Microsoft), Dev-C++ (search google for it), Code::Blocks (basically replaces Dev-C++), and G++ with Cygwin or MinGW.

For C#, once again it depends on your system. For Windows, Visual C# Express is your only free option, and for Linux or Unix you can use Mono (google for it).

Honestly, employers will not want to see your homework as part of a job interview. Unless you have specific intern experience they will expect you to come out like all of the other CS grads with a lot of theoretical knowledge and very little idea how to apply it to their company needs. It's expected that you will need time to get up to speed with real-world development and processes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.