Hey, this strike thing has been in your news for quite some time. What do you guys think of it?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I can't think of anything in the world with a lower level of necessity than this.

We could replace all of them with machines. I know where we can get some used garbage trucks.

Screw the WGA -- we watch too much TV anyway.

exposes all those talkshow hosts. They're now shown to be even more stupid than I always thought they were, they don't even write their own texts (let alone come up with them on the spot as they want to make you think during their "live" performances).

I think we should be hearing more about that Cyclone in bangladesh that has killed 3000 people and less about when our most favoritist tv show comes back on the air. Who gives a fuck about a bunch of nob shines that think they deserve 6 figures instead of 5. This world needs to get its priorities right.

You are all forgetting the most important reason that the strike must end soon. If the masses are not pacified with the mindless drivel on the shiny screen, they may actually begin to look around them and take an active interest in things the church and state prefer they ignore. :P

You are all forgetting the most important reason that the strike must end soon. If the masses are not pacified with the mindless drivel on the shiny screen, they may actually begin to look around them and take an active interest in things the church and state prefer they ignore. :P

Free thinking americans! Dear God. I take back my previous statement. More coverage of the writers strike and less coverage of Bangladesh. Because media coverage is totally going to make the strike end faster. Its not just adding more fuel to the fire at all...

Free thinking americans! Dear God. I take back my previous statement. More coverage of the writers strike and less coverage of Bangladesh. Because media coverage is totally going to make the strike end faster. Its not just adding more fuel to the fire at all...

Yes, see the coverage of the strike keeps them focused on the lack of preferred fodder and makes them crave it all the more!

I was thinking more about the strikers themself. One of the main things that is keeping them going is the fact that everything is paying attention to them. If you stop paying attention to them then eventually they will go away. Hell even hire more writers. Writers that are happy with the wages being offered.

Many of you obviously have no idea what the strike is about. It is not about there salaries it is about a large company that does not want to give them money for stuff they write. The main issue is with what they are calling "new media", mostly internet streaming or downloading. As of now the writers do not receive any royalties for that kind of media and the royalties that were offered, at negotiations, was far to low. Yes America watches way to much TV and hopefully the strike teaches them do something other than poor useless information into their heads.

Yes, the core of it was that they were screwed on DVD residuals (those being a percentage) and do not want to get further screwed as the studios and producers develop new revenue streams.

Many of you obviously have no idea what the strike is about. It is not about there salaries it is about a large company that does not want to give them money for stuff they write. The main issue is with what they are calling "new media", mostly internet streaming or downloading. As of now the writers do not receive any royalties for that kind of media and the royalties that were offered, at negotiations, was far to low. Yes America watches way to much TV and hopefully the strike teaches them do something other than poor useless information into their heads.

Its about money. That is what we have said all along.

yah, it's a bunch of dimwits who are on a fixed price contract wanting that contract changed so they get more money if their writings are used in places they'd not thought of before they signed that contract.

It doesn't work that way.

yah, it's a bunch of dimwits who are on a fixed price contract wanting that contract changed so they get more money if their writings are used in places they'd not thought of before they signed that contract.

It doesn't work that way.

Actually im pretty sure that it was a 3 year contract that had expired. The problem occured when they wanted these things added into the new contract.

Actually im pretty sure that it was a 3 year contract that had expired. The problem occured when they wanted these things added into the new contract.

Yes that is what happened and last time they went on strike it was for the same kind of reason. They wanted to receive money on VHS tapes, and the companies they work for said they will give them a beginning rate to let them have time to explore the new market. Once the VHS market exploded they never changed the percentage. That is what they are trying to do again and the WGA does not want to get screwed again.

I love reruns anyway!

Honestly, bashing aside, it's only fair that they get paid...well...fairly.

They're prolly rich already, prolly not, but is that money really better off in the hands of the Penguins?

I think we should disregard their actual pay scales and look at the underlying principle. IMO, you should only support this Penguin behavior if you're a CEO, board member or some other distinguished individual in some large company.

Otherwise, you're just undermining yourself, because at the end of the day you're a worker too. I would like to know that there are people out there who still care about me (and others, but mostly me) getting a fair return for all their work, and not being ripped off and underhanded by their employers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.