I heard that in Sp1, if you run a pirated copy of vista, you can still use your pc, as long as you can put up with a black background and obvious signs saying windows is not genuine. Does that mean i can download a pirated copy of vista ultimate off the internet, and run it in a dual boot/virtual machine, and still be able to use it without being charged with piracy or any of that other microsoft crap? Thanks for those who can help!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I heard that in Sp1, if you run a pirated copy of vista, you can still use your pc, as long as you can put up with a black background and obvious signs saying windows is not genuine. Does that mean i can download a pirated copy of vista ultimate off the internet, and run it in a dual boot/virtual machine, and still be able to use it without being charged with piracy or any of that other microsoft crap? Thanks for those who can help!!

No the only reason Microsoft no longer disable your PC if you have a pirated copy of Vista is that they were having a lot of false positives for piracy, and locking down a lot of genuine copies. If you install a pirated copy and are caught you are still subject to the same charges as before. Even if it is in a virtual machine.

What does your conscience tell you?

yeah, the only difference is it wont completely lock it out anymore. Its still against the law though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.