I'm in a desperate need of help with gcc 4.2.2 installation on Linux OpenSUSE 10.2.
I'm a mechanical engineering student and i need it installed on my home PC for my diploma thesis - it's quite urgent, i've been battling with it for a month. I need gcc 4.2.2. compiled and running as soon as possible, so any help is deeply appreciated.

thank You in advance,

Tomislav

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

So what's the problem?

i don't knnow how to install it, that is the problem. :) do i need to compile the bin utilities (what are they anyway? - i'm a total beginner) is there a good page where i can find a step - by- step installation guide? i browsed the official GNU page but i still don't know what to do.

If you don't already have a compiler on your system, it's going to be pretty useless trying to compile the source code of the compiler that you don't have. Sort of a chicken-egg situation going on here. What you need to do is run the package manager, YaST, and install gcc and any related tools that you might need.

I assumed he already had an older version of gcc installed as he was quite specific with the version number ;-)

I assumed he already had an older version of gcc installed as he was quite specific with the version number ;-)

Well, your post was correct -- the OP did ask how to compile gcc in the first place. But, describing himself as a 'total newbie', I assumed that he didn't have any version of gcc installed at all. (Plus, anyone who installed an older version of gcc with YaST could probably figure out how to install a newer version :-)

What you need to do is run the package manager, YaST, and install gcc and any related tools that you might need.

first of all: THANK YOU! this even sounds like it could work. :) i'll browse the Net for instructions and pray alot. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.