I have been receiving emails from a gmail email address, I tried doing reverse searches on it but not coming up anything. I have a feeling it may be the scammers posing as a police department. Is there anyway I can determine the owner of the email address or its validity?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The police email scam is well known. That's about all you need to know that it's the scam of note.
Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/1b592gr/is_this_real/ r/Scams has many other scams of note.

Worth noting:

1. Do not track them down.
  2. Ignore, block and report as spam.
  3. No police use a Gmail account.
commented: Thank you for the information. I forwarded the emails, blocked the email and deleted them +0

There is no way of determining the owner of an email address, especially from a free service such as GMail. Anyone can sign up for a free gmail account and purport to be anyone. However, if you're getting emails from a scammer, forward them to abuse@gmail.com so that GMail can follow up and take the appropriate action (e.g. shut down the GMail account).

commented: Thank you. I tried searching online but no luck with results. I forwarded the emails and I’ll delete them. I have them in spam and blocked the email +0

I have blocked the email on my Gmail account, any new emails get sent to spam. I received one Friday afternoon. I know I can just delete my spam emails but would like to have it deleted. Would I need to unblock the email address and set a rule that emails from that address get deleted and not sent to spam or can I leave it blocked and do a rule so that these emails get deleted from spam so I don’t see that they sent new replies? This is regarding gmail, and the email I’m receiving is from a gmail email address.

commented: I mark it as spam. And then I'm done. However some don't like any spam. Long discussions follow. +17

Thank you. It seems based on the email on Friday, they got mad I reposted it to spam.

The same supposed police department has contacted previously. I attached the recent emails.

IMG_3185.jpeg

commented: I recall same many times in r/Scams. Mark as spam, block, etc. Never reply or show signs you read their scam. +0

You may wish to edit or delete your post above since it LEAKED your gmail address and more.

commented: Yes I realized it included my Gmail address so I edited the screen shot. +0

You can try directly contacting the police department they claim to represent. Also, genuine police communications typically come from official government domains, not common email services like Gmail. If the emails contains poor grammar, urgent language, or requests for personal information then it's very likely to be spam. And to confirm you can search the email address online or check scam reporting websites to see if others have reported similar issues.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.