Do keywords in domains need to be separated with hyphens in order for search engines to read them?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Do keywords in domains need to be separated with hyphens in order for search engines to read each individual word? YES
Do I think that keyword rich domain names are overrated? YES

I think it does not matter for ranking purpose, because Search Engines have a very good formula to differentiate the keywords in the domain.. so it does not really matters. But yes keywords in URL does help !

Too right keywords in domains help !!

Just do a search on "football programmes"

As for how you display then hythens or not it's matters like IMO but remember real people have to try and remember your domain name so, again IMO, it's wise to only include hythens if you have to. That might be if you have two or more long words.

Tip for domain name, think of your Title, if you can get your keywords in at the start of that and use them in your domain your quids in. If not tink outside the box and use keywords that are as close to the start as possible and words suit them.

It is good to have keywords in domains but don’t have many so as to separate them using hyphens, they will be considered as an spam.
So be careful while using don’t over use your keywords.:rolleyes:

It is good to have keywords in domains but don’t have many so as to separate them using hyphens, they will be considered as an spam.
So be careful while using don’t over use your keywords.:rolleyes:

This is a common myth that is not true. Search engines don't have blanket rules like that for anything. The worst thing that can happen if you have a lot of hyphens in your domain name is it may set off a flag for a manual review of the site. But that is only speculation,

I guess the Search engine just treat the hyphen like a space. For example if you buy marketing-strategy domain name instead of marketingstrategy, it would be more precise for SE to read it as individual word.

I guess the Search engine just treat the hyphen like a space. For example if you buy marketing-strategy domain name instead of marketingstrategy, it would be more precise for SE to read it as individual word.

Exactly. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.