I need serious help with meta tags. Here is the story: I changed the whole theme of my website recently. The meta tags were standard and showed the keywords in them. I was getting some traffic from Google so I they must have been working.

Two weeks ago, I changed my site to a totally different subject and am now using a template. This template has a different meta tag system. This is what it says: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" /></head>

I am ASSSUMING that it means that my content and html is now my keywords for my meta tags. Is that right? To be sure, I created my own meta tags and stuck them on each individual page of my site. I made specific keywords for each page and put those tags in the content area.

Now, my question is this: Will this form of meta tagging work? I am still getting searches from my old keywords contained in my old tags. Maybe it is because it has only been two weeks and the changes are not showing up in Google yet???? However, Google does show my new title and description so why are my keywords not working yet?

Please help! My knowledge of this type of thing is pretty limited.

Thank you so much if you can help!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I need serious help with meta tags. Here is the story: I changed the whole theme of my website recently. The meta tags were standard and showed the keywords in them. I was getting some traffic from Google so I they must have been working.

They weren't working. Google doesn't use Meta tags to rank websites.

Two weeks ago, I changed my site to a totally different subject and am now using a template. This template has a different meta tag system. This is what it says: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" /></head>

I am ASSSUMING that it means that my content and html is now my keywords for my meta tags. Is that right?

No. That meta tags just tells the browser what characters set you are using. The LINK tag tells the browser where to find the stylesheet for the page. That's it. Those two tags have nothing to do with Meta tags.

To be sure, I created my own meta tags and stuck them on each individual page of my site. I made specific keywords for each page and put those tags in the content area.

They don't belong in the content area. That's invalid markup.

Will this form of meta tagging work?

No. Not only because you;re using them incorrectly. But they meta tags don't affect rankings.

Put back your old meta tags where they were and don't worry about them again. They have no SEO value. Instead focus on your content as that is what's important.

Okay. Forgive my ignorance but here is another question. What part of my site affects what users search for? If they are searching for "home business", what in my site will make that come up in Google or any other search engine? If it is not meta tags, what is it? Text content?

If my "old site" was getting searches through it's keywords "natural products", why is my "new" site not getting picked up with it's keywords in searches?

Okay. Forgive my ignorance but here is another question. What part of my site affects what users search for? If they are searching for "home business", what in my site will make that come up in Google or any other search engine? If it is not meta tags, what is it? Text content?

There are a lot of factors. Page content is an important one. So is anchor text of incoming links.

If my "old site" was getting searches through it's keywords "natural products", why is my "new" site not getting picked up with it's keywords in searches?

1) You made changes which affected how your page is ranked

2) Your pages do not deserve to rank well yet. In Google newer pages get a sort of boost when they first launch but then lose that boost shortly thereafter. You now have to promote those pages to get more links to them which will help them rank better.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand.

No problem. It's why we're here. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.