Hello Friends,

I m in trouble in optimizing a site. This site has duplicate URL issue (means for different URL the same page opens). So I request to SEO gurus to suggest me how can I find out these duplicate URL as site have 35,900 pages index in Google.

Any software or trick to find out these url’s.

Thanx in advance to all SEO Gurus

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Just put a no follow tag on the urls with duplicate content?

This site have so many duplicate URL, sugest me how can i find these URL

I would not worry about it. I don't remember where I read it, but Google has basically confirmed that duplicate content is only a problem when it is across websites.

Google understands that in the world of dynamic pages, there are going to be multiple URLs that arrive at the same pages. Google will simply filter out all but one of them (most likely, the one with the most incoming backlinks).

What google doesn't like is plagiarism across websites, where an article is duplicated without citing one or the other as being the original source.

If you feel you need to, and have permission to, copy an article from another site, be sure to cite the original source in HTML code. This can be done in the following way:

<blockquote cite="http://www.original-source.com">Duplicated content</blockquote>

Google will serve the duplicate page. It's just a matter of Google serving the right page that you want the users to see. If you don't think the page Google provides is ideal, delete it. :)

Google will serve the duplicate page. It's just a matter of Google serving the right page that you want the users to see. If you don't think the page Google provides is ideal, delete it. :)

Why do you say that when Google clearly is filtering out duplicate content and continuing to improve their ability to do so?

Why do you say that when Google clearly is filtering out duplicate content and continuing to improve their ability to do so?

Why do I say that? Because that's what Adam Lasnik has said before.

However, I see that my original wording was not clear. Here's the scenario I tried to illustrate:

Google might be filtering out duplicate pages, but if the original source is on this guy's site and he's duplicating his own content, Google will still serve one of his pages, right? If he's concerned that that's not the one he wants, then he could delete it or 301 redirect it to the appropriate page.

Why do I say that? Because that's what Adam Lasnik has said before.

However, I see that my original wording was not clear. Here's the scenario I tried to illustrate:

Google might be filtering out duplicate pages, but if the original source is on this guy's site and he's duplicating his own content, Google will still serve one of his pages, right? If he's concerned that that's not the one he wants, then he could delete it or 301 redirect it to the appropriate page.

Google will serve the page they consider to be either the original source or the more important page (most likely determined by PR). Otherwise all other duplicate content , on the original website or not, will be filtered out as duplicate. Ideally if a website has duplicate content the webmaster will remove the duplicate content as leaving it in place will cause PR leaks within the website which is definitely not beneficial to the site's rankings.

Thanx to all
You all guys are not able to understand my problem.

Problem is "How can i found these pages"

If it is on your own site you should understand the structure well enough to be able to figure it out. If it is on another site a tool like copyscape can help you find them.

Google will serve the page they consider to be either the original source or the more important page (most likely determined by PR). Otherwise all other duplicate content , on the original website or not, will be filtered out as duplicate. Ideally if a website has duplicate content the webmaster will remove the duplicate content as leaving it in place will cause PR leaks within the website which is definitely not beneficial to the site's rankings.

Which is pretty much what I said.

One page will be served. It may not be the most ideal page, but that page will be provided and all duplicate content will be filtered out.

As far as the issue is concerned with pankaj, if you wanted to, download all the files locally (if they're all static) and do a search for text strings that are unique to the content you want to preserve.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.