Does anyone have a good read on how alexa actually updates and measures Traffic.

For example I have sustainedhit roughly 500-1000 uniq's per day and this showed for the last 7 dyas.

After that it shot straight down and is almost not reading any of the hits.

What could be the cause of this?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Don't you need to have the Alexa browser bar installed for Alexa to know what sites you view? I think so.

So, if Alexa saw lots of traffic and then none, wouldn't it be that someone with the Alexa bar was surfing your site, but then that person (or group of persons) left? There may be other people hitting your site, but if they don't use Alexa, they won't register.

-Tony

Corrent from previous poster. You can have a million uniques... but not one of them matters unless they have an alexa toolbar.

my traffic ranking is pretty good considering i just got my site up 10 days ago im like 350,000 lol hey there are worst sites and thats just people with an alexa toolbar and how many regular people even know alexa.com exist

Ok SO now I am convinced.. Alexa means NOTHING... just like PR...

You can have 10 guys winstall alexa bar.. nail your site... and drive your ranking up and this is supposed to make you a higher ranked site?

Pffff.....

Just more hype like PR... Alexa == Toilet Paper

Ok SO now I am convinced.. Alexa means NOTHING... just like PR...

You can have 10 guys winstall alexa bar.. nail your site... and drive your ranking up and this is supposed to make you a higher ranked site?

Pffff.....

Just more hype like PR... Alexa == Toilet Paper

as much as it is hype, just like pr it can help your site when non-web designers/webmasters go to a site that has a high pr they will think it must be good same thing with alexa ranking the public thinks it is a true reflection of the site and a high pr/alexa ranking will get your site better in the engines driving more traffic to your site so yea its all bullshit but you gotta conform to it (alexa is more accurate than google becuase they go by traffic not incoming links)

Alexa only counts from people who have THEIR toolbar installed..

I cannot see this as being "more or less" accurate.

Its not really conforming thats a must.

Its simply the standard of people selling a text link or ad space based on PR and PR alone...

Its non sense. My sites do very well and they do not have a pr5 status on any of them.. does this mean they are not worthy?

Its simply a selling point for advertisers..

A simple way for them NOT TO DO thier jobs of selling..

IE: Buy PR6 Link

Instead of doing your homework and selling a link based on its actual quality.

Alexa Surf has a new autosurf program out there that will really allow people to get low rankings.

I am a bit skeptical to use that site... Its less then 5 days old and it clearly violates alexa's TOS.

Alexa ratings & PR. Those who have good numbers tend to like them. Those who don't tend to discount them completely :cheesy: .

Alexa ratings, just like PR are just "rough" estimates. The tools we have in our industry are FAR from perfect, but that's where technology is at this point in time.

I spoke with Patrick Gavin at WW New Orleans last month. He is president of Text Link Ads, the #1 link brokerage house. He does not post PR on his inventory, but does post Alexa rankings. He told me that PR is still the primary factor in assessing the value of a TL. It's what the market wants. I have a love hate relationship with PR and Alexa. I wish both were more accurate, but hey - do you know of anything better?

PS: Alexa pulls some stats from it's search engine A9.com, not just the Toolbar.

The thing is ... BOTH are simply selling points for advertisers.... No more so less...

The average surfer has no idea what either PR or Alexa ranking IS... no call a spade a spade ya know?

I agree,

but the average webmaster I think knows what PR and Alexa is.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.