Hi
I am laucnhing my new social network on Friday. But i have no clue how to market it except for contests and "invite a friend"
Please help with marketing methods.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

You'll need to start a viral campaign. Is there something special or cool about yours that no one else is doing? If so, try to find a way tog et people excited about it. (If not you've got an uphill battle anyway and should try to identify why people should choose you over the big guys).

The biggest thing with marketing a new site, especially one with a lot of competition, is to be able to answer the question "If I did not own this site and stumbled across it, would I join it?". Why should someone choose your site over the likes of your competition? What do you do better or do you offer something that your competition does not. If you have a site that is a replica of an already established community you will find it very hard to convince your visitors that they should visit your site more frequently than your competition.

Hi
I am laucnhing my new social network on Friday. But i have no clue how to market it except for contests and "invite a friend"
Thanks

What's the name of the website and domain name?

Depend on what type of users you are going to focus, if you can be able to attract more and more users, you will find it easier to make it viral as users themselve make things viral and rest the technology do itself.

i think it would be really hard to make the site work. there are so many big competitor out there with the same concept.

i think it would be really hard to make the site work. there are so many big competitor out there with the same concept.

The persona of “popularity” of a social networking site can be achieved by recommendation and referring others and rest the technology do itself.

I use some social networks. I think you have to have your own unique features to attract more users.

Having a contest will definitely be a good idea. When you give away something free people will come.

I say come up with something tangible to give out and post your contest around forums.

Contests are difficult to use as you have a problem: how can you get people excited about your content when you don't have people at your website? If people don't know about the website they won't know about the contest. But once you have a lot of people at the website then you don't need the contest anymore.

Does social networking work on the broad scope for marketing? I haven't used it before. Just really new to the forums on the whole.

Something you should think about doing is joining other social networking sites to promote your own as this is the type of audience you are after. Give StumbleUpon.com a shot.

I keep noticing StumbleUpon as a referer to our blog entries but hadn't heard of it before then. What is it exactly? Like a mini-Digg?

I keep noticing StumbleUpon as a referer to our blog entries but hadn't heard of it before then. What is it exactly? Like a mini-Digg?

Kind of. The reason I joined is because i had an incoming link to my site from them so I wanted to check it out. There are two parts to stumble upon as I see it. The first part is people basically where people give a thumbs up or thumbs down to websites they view. They have a toolbar for FF and IE that makes it really easy to do. Also in this toolbar is a button called stumble. When you click this button it takes you to a random web page that people have voted for within categories that you specify. It is a great way to find sites you never would have found. i think this is the allure to it.

The next part is more social networking, kind of mySpace-esque. You get friends and fans (people who like the sites you recommend) and you can send and receive PMs. You get more "fans" by voting for more sites.

I only joined about a week ago and yesterday, for example, it sent almost 50 hits to my personal blog all coming from my StumbleUpon Profile.

Wow, I guess I'm not the only night owl :) Thank you for the info ... perhaps in the morning I'll create a profile. :)

Hi

When it comes to marketing you need to ask yourself the following questions and be VERY CLEAR about it.

1. Who am I (in terms of your product / service identity)
2. What am I saying (offering) to people? (Benifits to THEM)
3. Who is my audience?
4. Where are my audience?

If you know all of this clearly, you will be well on track.
The 'methods' you employ will be based 100% on the answers of these questions. Otherwise it is stumbling in the dark.

I have a lot of creative people, designers, marketing people etc. who work with me, but hardly any 'techie' people. Both are needed for real success.

Clarity.
Excellent Copy.
Excellent Design.
1st class marketing strategy.
Ability to use all the appropriate internet tools to promote the above.

I can offer advice on many things, and would also be happy to work with those who have the skills my team lacks.

All the best

Hi
Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.