Where the hell do these people get lists of all the forums on the Internet? I mean seriously, I have been learning and working very hard on my latest project and people keep going to my site to register and then just add a link to their home page. They never contribute to the forum, they never post or even reply to one stinking thing. I know its human because my forum it behind a human question and captcha....
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

woocha,

Do you have a phpbb forum that is getting spammed? If so, look at the spam profile and see if the board language is set to Albanian.

I am not sure what you mean by that....

To tell you the truth...I posted a similar question on another forum and the people there told me that human spammers (aka: Jack asses) Do a google search for the phrase "powered by phpbb".....Clever little punks. So I guess that's it...you can't remove the "powered by" tag because of copywrite, so I guess I am stuck

Sorry, my last post does sound weird. Log in to your phpbb admin panel, under the USER ADMIN section, click on MANAGEMENT and look up the profile and settings of the user that is spamming you. If the board language is set to Albanian, your probably getting spammed by the same person that was spamming my forum.

I was getting about 10-20 fake members a day. No posts, just registering to get a backlink to their site. I tried several fixes, including a pop up window that makes the person registering answer a simple question to proceed to throw off a spambot, but nothing worked. I finally figured that he was either manually creating the ids, or was using software that somehow bypasses the registration page.

I was finally able to fix my spam problem - let my know what you find, if its the same person or software, I think I can help.

How did you handle it?

Can I send you a PM through Daniweb? I'm afraid the spammer will catch on to the fix. I only have my forum in the signature here on Daniweb and on digital point forums - I think he's picking up his spam list from popular tech forums.

If these spammers are mostly from specefic country, you can try out by banning particular country IP.

• Can I send you a PM through Daniweb? I'm afraid the spammer will catch on to the fix. I only have my forum in the signature here on Daniweb and on digital point forums - I think he's picking up his spam list from popular tech forums.

Ya shoot me a PM

This list has a heap of ways to attack Spam on a phpBB board, helped me when I used to use it.

Ya shoot me a PM

Sorry for the delay woocha - just sent you a pm.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.