hello everyone!!!

what is the difference between this two css

p {
     color : red;
 }

.name p {
   color : blue;
  }

how do i call this two css so that i can have a two results of p? one is color red and the other is blue.

your help is highly appreciated!!!

thanks in advanced!!!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for Rhyan

The difference is the following:

p {} only is a master declaration for your whole page. Definitions here will be inherited by all p tags by default. It is like a default style for p tags.

.name p {} can be used to change the default setting to something else, which will have priority over the default declaration. Note that .name is a class in CSS, so you can reuse it several times, while #name is specific ID in you html code that you want explicitly to modify by css.

For example, if you are building up a forum, you can specify that all p tags by default show in red.
However, each post which is e.g. div, containing some p in it needs to be blue. So it will look like this

<body>
<p>All these will be shown in red</p>
<div class="posts" ><p>My blue content here</p></div>
</body>

But if you want some special formatting do be applied on a specific section of your page only - e.g. header, footer, news, etc..., you should do it like this.

<body>
<p>All these will be shown in red</p>
<div class="posts" ><p>My blue content here</p></div>
<div id="sections_unique_name_here"><p>Only this here will be purple</p></div>
</body>

Note that classes (.name) can appear on a single page multiple times, while id's (#name) can appear on a single page ONLY ONCE!

HELLO RHYAN, thanks a lot.....

thank you so much......

On a similar note, if you have something like #nav p then it will only do that when it <p> tags are encountered in the <div> section with the ID "nav".

thanks to all info... thanks a lot,

i hope you can still help me with this one...

#nav p h1 {
}

how can i call this one...?

thanks a lot!!!

thanks to all info... thanks a lot,

i hope you can still help me with this one...

p {
}

#nav p {
  color : green;
}

#nav p h1 {
}

how can i call this three and their differences...?

thanks a lot!!!

The first one sets the defaukt colour for all <p> elements to red. The second one, overrides this to green, but only for <p> elements in the #nav did.

#nav p h1 wont do anything but #nav p, h1 will. That will override the colour property for both <p> and <h1> tags in the nav section to be red.

Member Avatar for Rhyan

Just one thing - <p></p> elements are not allowed to contain h1-h6 elements.
This means you cannot have the following <p><h1>Heading Here</h1>The other text being here</p>

They are in HTML transitional , just not in XHTML.

thanks everyone!!!

for my last questions,,, how do i call this one and their difference/s

#search-news {
	float: right;
	width: 140px;
}

#search-news div {
	padding: 3px 0;
	margin: 0;
}

thanks a lot!!!

well to me it seems like that its another div with name search-news div. while the first div's name is search-news. it seems like two different divs. and the styles are applied on each one individually they are not connected anyhow.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.