OK folks.... struggling with this one!

You create a table, set the propeties so that t is 100% etc.... you place images in the outer cells, so you are forming a ring of out cells around the central/9th one.
Now, if you set the images to stretch as well, then view it in i.e... theres a problem.... the width is perfect... the height isn't!

Now, I think I have found away round this... just can't find where I put the page with my notes and an example on...... so does anyone else haveany ideas how to fix this, whether it breaks the code rules, whether other browsers have this issue etc.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

OK folks.... struggling with this one!

You create a table, set the propeties so that t is 100% etc.... you place images in the outer cells, so you are forming a ring of out cells around the central/9th one.
Now, if you set the images to stretch as well, then view it in i.e... theres a problem.... the width is perfect... the height isn't!

Now, I think I have found away round this... just can't find where I put the page with my notes and an example on...... so does anyone else haveany ideas how to fix this, whether it breaks the code rules, whether other browsers have this issue etc.

Can we get a look at your code? Did you hard code height values? Heights can be tricky sometimes... sometimes I'll use spacer GIFs to get a height exactly how I want it. Doesn't sound like that would work for you though --

Send over your code, I'll take a look.

Ditto: post a hyperlink.

Also, make sure you're using a DocType so that the browser(s) know what they are and are not allowed to do with percentages, padding, margins, and so on.

damn... thought that would be a problem.... no doc type! AS soon as you put that it, it breaks!

Why for they not permit % height... they permit % width! ?

Because pages have a natural width: the width of the browser window.

Put there is no concept of "natural height". Pages extend indefinitely, past the bottom of the browser. A percentage would be a percentage of, what, exactly?

I suppose thats a good point!
It just makes doing certain things difficult, or impossible!

Then again, there's quite a few things that the web languages have done that seem odd..... or should I say that the browsers have had done!
I don't understand why they have all the differences in browsers... if the language has defined settings, I believe the browsers should be forced to utilise these.... not do so if they wish!
Thats the hardest part of WSD, the flaming browser differences!

OK.... I think I have a legitimat way of doing this.......
You just position things at the bottom of the page, with a Z-placement of a higher value!
That should work!
This, if you want the page to appear to be in a extending frame... you simply position relative to the bottom of the page..... where as if you position to the bottom of the window, the contents would appear to scroll through ???? (is that right?)
Also, is that permissable?

OK.... I think I have a legitimat way of doing this.......
You just position things at the bottom of the page, with a Z-placement of a higher value!
That should work!
This, if you want the page to appear to be in a extending frame... you simply position relative to the bottom of the page..... where as if you position to the bottom of the window, the contents would appear to scroll through ???? (is that right?)
Also, is that permissable?

Hi Autocrat -- can you give us a look at how you did it? I'm not sure I follow what you're doing but would be interested to see...

Glad you found something that works though!

Well, I've had a play..... I can position things at the bottom of the page using either CSS... which was problematic.... or I can make IE stretch to the bottom of the window if the page is shorter, and take a bottom aligned graphic with it..... alternatively, I have a JS code to do basically the same thing, so that it will overlay what ever is on the page, so it appears that things are scrolling from under it!
Make sense?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.