I am looking for a script that will promt the user to bookmark my site when they try to close the browser. I have seen them in the past I cant seem to find one now that I need it.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I know a javascript code which will prompt the user to bookmark your page:

You will need to change the following to your own details

var url="ENTER YOUR WEBSITE ADDRESS HERE";
var title="ENTER A TITLE FOR YOUR SITE HERE";

Here's the code:

<script language=javascript>
<!-- Begin
if ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4)) {

var url="ENTER YOUR WEBSITE ADDRESS HERE";
var title="ENTER A TITLE FOR YOUR SITE HERE";

document.write('<A HREF="javascript:window.ext');
document.write('ernal.AddFavorite(url,title);" ');
document.write('onMouseOver=" window.status=');
document.write("'Add my site to your favorites!'; return true ");
document.write('"onMouseOut=" window.status=');
document.write("' '; return true ");
document.write('">Add my site to your favorites.</a>');
}
else {
var msg = "Don't forget to bookmark me!";
if(navigator.appName == "Netscape") msg += " (CTRL-D)";
document.write(msg);
}

// End -->
</script>

I also know that you can make something happen when the page is closed using:

<BODY onUnload="Here you need to put something which will activate the javascript code. I'm not sure what though">

I also know that if you save your javascript as a .js file using notepad (take out the <script language=javascript> and </script> if you do this though) you can use:

<SCRIPT SRC="Name of script.js"></SCRIPT>

That's all I know, hope someone else knows the rest.

Martin

By the time the onunload triggers the person is no longer on your page to be able to bookmark it.

You could have a pop-up window with that link on it which will bookmark your page when clicked, but this window will be blocked if the user has a pop-up blocker installed - which most people will.

Unless someone knows how to make a pop-up window which will not be blocked, then the only other way is probably to put a link on your homepage using the above script again.

Martin

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.