I would like to change my overall font a few sizes larger on my website. I am having a major brain fart. The site is as http://www.bam-creator.com . I'll post the CSS below to see if maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong. I change the font size in each area ... *sigh * its one of those days

a:link, a:visited, a:active { text-decoration: none; 
    color: #FAFCF6;
    font-family: tahoma, arial, verdana;
    font-size: 10px;}
a:hover { text-decoration: none; 
    color: #C6CD4B; 
    font-size: 10px;}

TD {
    font-size: 9px;
    color: #F3FEE1; }
.f {
    font-size: 10px;
    color: #F3FEE1; }
.b {font-weight: bold;}
.key{
    color: #FAFCF6; }
.input {
    border: 0px solid;
    width: 133px;
    height: 17px;
    background-image:url('images/inp.jpg'); 
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    color: #000000;}
.button {
    width: 46px;
    height: 16px;
    background-image:url('images/submit.jpg'); 
.button2 {
    width: 39px;
    height: 16px;
    background-image:url('images/clear.jpg'); 
.tx {
    width: 133px;
    height: 42px;
    background-image:url('images/ta.jpg'); 
body {
        background-color: #535B4C;
        padding:0px;
        margin: 0px;
        scrollbar-face-color:#ffffff;
        scrollbar-highlight-color:#535B4C;
        scrollbar-3dlight-color:#535B4C;
        scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#535B4C;
        scrollbar-shadow-color:#535B4C;
        scrollbar-arrow-color:#535B4C;
        scrollbar-track-color:#535B4C;

}

Thanks in advanced - if I figure it out before answer is revealed I will post answer so hopefully it will help someone else

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I would consider setting an appropriate font size in your body selector instead of all of the individual selectors. You could then override that default font-size as needed. For example, if I remove font-size from all of your existing selectors, and just add font-size: 12px (as an example) to body, I'm able to control things more globally.

Is this what you're looking for, or am I misreading?

Good luck.

I would consider setting an appropriate font size in your body selector instead of all of the individual selectors. You could then override that default font-size as needed. For example, if I remove font-size from all of your existing selectors, and just add font-size: 12px (as an example) to body, I'm able to control things more globally.

Is this what you're looking for, or am I misreading?

Good luck.

Something odd happened when I did that - my entire background disappeared - I am using DreamWeaver from CS4 series. Going to look more into this - hopefully once again I'll have answer soon

Thanks again

I cant seem to locate the problem

when i delete all the font-size code and add to the body syntax I lose my background (the gray part)

12px is, on a hi-res monitor (.12mm dot pitch), 1.4mm (0.05inch) high, px are not scaleable by the user to the users convenience,
current best practice for screen layout is em and %, which both adjust around the user basefont settings, the site becomes immediately impairment friendly and you wont get fined in any of the countries now signatory to the latest international boondoggle

0px will crash css rendering in some standards compliant browsers, zero has no unit, it is just zero

wont even mention that tables are not a good layout tool,,,

okay - I didnt think of that even though I was reading all over that earlier ... I'll try %

It is normal to set the css for body first, as these are going to be global styles that you will then alter later for specific ids and classes.

Using tables for layout is soooo last century. Literally.

That sounds like an unrelated problem; font-size shouldn't have any effect on your background.

almostbob makes some valid points, but they're more general in nature, and I don't think will resolve your issue. Though, there are some things in your markup that are sort of non-standard as drjohn also points out; specifically, you may benefit from utilizing more semantically appropriate markup (e.g. not using tables, using header tags instead of font tags nested under paragraphs, not using inline styles, etc). It's difficult to say if re-writing your HTML in this way would provide you the results you're expecting without a great deal of work, but it's certainly something to consider in your next project.

In the meantime, I wouldn't necessarily trust Dreamweaver's view as an accurate look at how your code will render on a browser - it would be best (if you haven't done so already) to preview in specific browsers to be sure of your results.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.