Hi All, (G'Day) :cool:

(first question in forum)

I would like for my web site to intelligently re-direct to another (host/server) which is my mirror.

I was thinking of maybe using JS or PHP ?? but I have little knowledge other than cutting/pasting/editing to suit.

I use HTML and CSS and hand code all pages to conform to W3c, so far so good. Now that I have started a mirror site, I wish for it to used, and re-directed to, automatically.

:eek:

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Redirection can be accomplished either client or server side, but the real question is, why? When?

Redirection can be accomplished either client or server side, but the real question is, why? When?

Sorry I didn't really make it clear...

---
It is for times of Primary Server down time, or the server/hosting having issues....

I would like for 'something' to see that the primary is OFF-AIR and then to load the mirror...

or am I dreaming? :p

If the server is completely down, there's nothing you can do. If the server is under load, it can redirect.

I suggest you post in the 'Site Management | Web Hosting' forum.

The only way to achieve it when the server is down is to do some fancy dns and hope the updates propogate in time.

If you have a mirror site then dont leave it for times when the other is down. Make use of it and load balance, that way you should have a better chance if the primary goes down.

To be honest if it is that important to you (which most sites are) and you are worried about availability that you have gone to another mirror i would be inclined to look at your current primary hoster and see why they cant guarantee the uptime. Maybe look to move. Though you may be your hoster in which case i understand the dilemma and go back to my earlier point that you should load balance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.