What are the Firefox CSS inline hacks? I have seen hacks for style sheets, but not sure how to do this for inline.
Here is a link for Firefox hacks, but it seems like it is only for external style sheet. http://perishablepress.com/press/2009/06/28/css-hacks-for-different-versions-of-firefox/

Here is the code that I want to make sure all Firefox only sees.

<div id="home_promo" class="HomePromo" style="position:relative; right:535px;  top:45px;">

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hello. Sadly there will never be a way to stop people from seeing the coding of a website. Or things like Facebook and Google would have done it ages ago. I know of things to stop you from right clicking etc but even the then you can F12 to get everything on the site.

Sorry. There may be a way, but from my knowledge there is no way. Good Luck!

I think you misunderstood my request. I'm looking for a way to allow only firefox to change this particular code inline and not for ie. If you see the link, you would see that there are hacks for IE. I"m looking for the css hacks for Firefox, but inline.

have you tried a <style> tag instead of directly putting the hack inline?

The reason I wanted a firefox hack is because it works just fine in IE, which is odd. That never happens to me. IE is always the issue. I ended up creating an external stylesheet and then fixing it that way, but I was hoping for a firefox inline hack so its easier for my customer to see and figure out. Thanks for the ideas!

wait so its fixed or not?
if so please explain how you did it for reference! :D

if not then let me know if i got this right :

you have valid css in an external file that displays corectly in IE but not in FF, and you want to put a FF hack inline of the target tag to put in the working FF css.

so my question would be what about chrome and opera? which css works with them? the IE or FF?

also , rather than adding the hack inline, and since you say it doesnt work from an external file (which is odd to start with), why dont you put the hack in a <style>...</style> tag in your header.

Alternatively, you could use whatever programming language you use (asp , php.. ) to conditionally link a specific css file.

EDIT :
http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/browser-specific_css_hacks/

<%if (Request.UserAgent.ToLower().Contains("firefox/3")) { %>

<link href="./themes/firefox3.css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" type="text/css" />

<style>

*.style{ overflow:hidden; }

</style>

<% } %>

I thought it was fixed. It works in firefox and ie, not chrome, haven't tried opera yet. I'm thinking that I may need to again focus on fixing only firefox and let the rest do its thing considering it was fine for IE and Chrome before.

It does work from an external file, I was just hoping I didn't have to because I have to send these files to a customer.

I see what you mean about the <style> tag in the header now. It would be in the header instead of an external stylesheet. Instead of finding a hack for Firefox, I creted an external stylesheet and made it correct for Firefox, but then created the hack for IE.

I'm now having the issue with chrome. Its having the same issue that firefox was. The reason this all started is because I needed to use lightwindow to create an overlay. To make the overlay work, I had to change the DOCTYPE.

DOCTYPE CHANGED FROM

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

TO

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" 
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
 xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US"><head id="Head">

FIXED IE:
Here is what I did in the external css for IE so that it would work correctly in IE.

.HomePromo  {
	position:relative; 
	left:0px\9; 
	top:0px\9; }

Sorry, still learning this stuff.

What is the external stylesheet codes for only firefox? Just as I did above for IE? I think that would be a better and more efficient way to go.

im actually not experienced with css hacks much, simply read on them recently and figured i'd point you in a right direction, and since i have no idea what lightwindow is i can't help you, but i cans ee you are going to figure it out , you're on the right track.

i personally write all my stuff for chrome/FF since they are the most standard compliant, then fix IE, even though most of my customer's traffic comes from IE.

OK. I'll keep going on it. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Lightwindow is a popup where it grays out the background and you have to click to close it. It's been a pain. Some websites use similar code and it gets thrown off. That is why I'm having to recode some areas.

any css pop-up is easily dodgeable, i mean , while trying to set my router's wireless configuration a few months ago, the web ui poped a black div over the whole window and a small loading box that got stuck at 99% and said some warning message,
couldnt find anything bout the warning message so...

f12, go to the blackscreen & popup css rules , set their positions offscreen, switched my settings since they were all activated and ready, behind the black div...

good stuff! im saving that link! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.