Please help I have uploaded my site but the submit button code does not work. I want to send details in my email. Please help me out. I do not know CGI or PERL please help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

well, do you want to know cgi/perl? or do you want a solution that uses neither cgi, nor perl? methinks, you'll find it easier to learn cgi (perl or php) than to find a solution that doesn't use the cgi (or another server side solution) in one way or another.

there are sites that let you "use" their mail sending facilities, but perhaps, they aren't reliable. (i don't know if that's true).

there's some prerequisites for sending mail from your own server, most importantly, that you're allowed to do so: if you're hosted on a reasonable unix/linux server, you'll probably be allowed. if you're hosted with a cheap uk company on an IIS/Windows server, you may find it more difficult.

I posted a thread somewhere (here: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread61310.html) in this forum with snippets from mail sending rotuines in perl and php... but you'll need to know a tiny bit of perl or php in order to use either of them, and the basics of cgi to get information from your form to the mail part.

you should probably research the CGI; there are better ways of using form data than throwing it at an inbox =P

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

You could also do this with JavaScript.

No, you cannot. Any email solution using client-side code is unreliable, insecure, and relies on client configuration details.

Coding a submit button, the problem mentioned in your thread title, is simple:

<input type="submit" />

However, processing the submitted information and sending it somewhere via SMTP, requires server-side coding. Choose a language, learn.

You could also do this with JavaScript.

I said this because he said he dont know any server side language.

However, processing the submitted information and sending it somewhere via SMTP, requires server-side coding. Choose a language, learn.

Here are few links which may help you for that:

PHP: http://w3schools.com/php/php_mail.asp
ASP: http://w3schools.com/asp/asp_send_email.asp

I realize he doesn't know any server-side languages. However, that doesn't mean the task can be done client-side. Certain things can only be done server-side, and form processing and re-mailing is one of them.

I realize he doesn't know any server-side languages. However, that doesn't mean the task can be done client-side. Certain things can only be done server-side, and form processing and re-mailing is one of them.

Ok, ok sorry. I gave hime wrong advice. Even I use server side scripts for that. however i didnt mentioned my post in detail, you you did. Let's not argue for that and forgive me as you could know what my experience is in my profile.:)I learned all this myself(as u learned guitar):p

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.