I'm wanting to setup a forum for our youthgroup... Paying for one isn't a big deal, but I'm not sure how to do anything with websites. Will someone give me a hand? If not it's ok.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Just install any forum software like phpBB. There isn't a whole lot involved and they walk you through it. Once you install it you're done. It practically runs itself.

don't i have to register a domain name or something first? Or can I just run it off of my computer at home?

You will need a domain and should get a web hosting account, too. You can do both at godaddy.com.

You will need a domain and should get a web hosting account, too. You can do both at godaddy.com.

Thanks, I'll get in touch with my Youth Pastor and we'll get it going. After I register the domain, where do I install the stuff at? is it over FTP?
I used to be a big fan of godaddy but now don't like them... their commercials are trashy.

Thanks, I'll get in touch with my Youth Pastor and we'll get it going. After I register the domain, where do I install the stuff at? is it over FTP?
I used to be a big fan of godaddy but now don't like them... their commercials are trashy.

You can register a domain at lots of places. Godaddy is cheap so I go there but I'm sure you can find other places like Yahoo to register one and get hosting, too. Then you will use FTP to transfer the files to the server. From there just follow their install instructions and you should be all set.

Alright, thanks alot!

Do you know of any good places to shop for a forum? Or are they all pretty much the same

If you want a free one use phpBB. Version 3 is about to be released and will be amazing for a free forum. If want the industry "standard" use vBulletin. It's not free but an excellent piece of software.

If you want a free one use phpBB. Version 3 is about to be released and will be amazing for a free forum. If want the industry "standard" use vBulletin. It's not free but an excellent piece of software.

thanks a bunch!

You dont have to own a domain. You can host it off ur computer using Redirection Service...such as .co.nr or you could use no-ip.[info/org etc]

If u wish to host fr4om ur own computer..u have to have a Web Server, such as Apache, or Abyss Web Server.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.